• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

for newbies only (under 200 posts) what model LP and amp do you play the most and why

Jeffrec

'87 LP Custom with Duncan Antiquities, through a Crate VC5212 (I can't afford a Marshall right now). Sounds incredible.

Stan

1990 Classic, 1995 PRS Custom 22, McInturff Royal w/P90's played through a Koch Twintone 50 W. head and a Boogie wide-body 1 x 12 cab. Great sounding set-up going straight into the amp.

david'74

'98 Les Paul Custom (burgundy) through Marshall DSL 100 stack. Probably change the PU's to Seymour JB and '59 soon.

325-at-2pm

Here goes:

1957 Les Paul Special in limed mahogany

1963 Vox AC30 Topboosted combo

The last few weeks, subject to change of course.

ClaytonS

I've been playing...

my 79 Les Paul Pro with old humbuckers retrofitted (I think the bridge it a 50s PAF and the neck is a patent #) that sounds INCREDIBLE with my 66 Fender Bassman and Jenkins 2 10 cab with jensen reissues. This guitar has been naturally "reliced" as it has no finish on the back of the 3 piece maple neck, has been refretted (extremely well) and has lots of dings. Tobacco sunburst, brighter sounding than some LPs due to the maple neck and ebony fingerboard. It's not too heavy either, I love it. Long live les pauls. My first guitar, an early 90s LP studio is still being played quite a bit too, I put harmonic designs Z-90 (p-90 type) pickups in it that really have some guts. It sounds TOTALLY different than my 79, acoustically and electrically, but I love them both for different reasons.
-Clayton

Rockit

94 Standard with 57' Classics.

2555sl Head (Slash).

4 x 12 Tall Vintage with 25 watt Celestions.

Why? Because it works for me! I can get the tone / sounds that I like which is basically overdriven Tubes and those neat little Gibbons style pinch harmonics!

Rockit

R

Rick Himel

'94 Classic Premium Plus with Duncan 59s into a '76 Marshall Super Lead via a Klon Centaur or Boss BD2 modded by Analog Mike, or

57 Custom Historic (faded cherry) into a early 70's Sunn Model T via the Klon

electraglide

A 1979 Hamer Standard and an '81 Hamer Sunburst (those are my Les Pauls at the moment) into a JCM 800 head or for the times I don't need to crank, into a PRS HG 70 head, which can sound great at any volume.

I've owned LPs since 1980 or so and sold my last one (a killer '92 Standard in TV yellow) a few years back. While I think that the Hamers I've picked up blow away the vast majority of the Les Pauls that I've played over the years (or any Gibsons for that matter), I've had the strong hankering to pick up a Lester again just to have around. Not that it would replace my Hamer Standards and Sunbursts, but I'd dig having one of them strapped on again.

dman11

I got a '99 Les Paul Studio refinished from wine red to vintage yellow /clear sides masked the sides of the maple and now have natural cream binding look,vintage yellow stained top has subtle but beautiful figure neck is satined and shaved a bit.
My amp rig is:
Carvin Legacy head->Avatar 4x12(dry) w/eminence/vin35 xpattern
Legacy's line out to lexicon FX->Mesa 20/20 2-2x12 cabs.
modified control 8 midi switcher ch.switching,tap tempo etc.

gadzooka

I almost exclusively play at home, although I'd welcome some opportunities to play out when I get a few crowd-pleasing songs down.

I have a 2001 Custom Shop Korina Standard, which I had no idea was korina when I bought it. It's finished black all around (translucent on the quilted top), and the store labeled it as a Class 5. I just liked the guitar and bought it. It sounds wonderful.

I play through a Fender Blues Jr., which is a great little amp. I have heard these (incvluding my own) used in bars, and it delivers plenty of volume.

I also have a '91 LP Studio (another good guitar!) and an '80s Marshall 5212 amp. The Marshall is very good for heavy metal I suppose (not my thing).

arcebe2

Great Thread!

01 Std Plus straight into Blues Jr. Mix a ts-9 in once in a while.

G-Money

I run my 2002 R7 Authentic w/BB PU's and a cord into the following amps:

Mesa Boogie Studio .22+

Mesa Boogie Blue Angel 4 x 10

Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb RI

The .22+ is getting the most time.....right now anyway. The on board 5 Band EQ really allows for some excellent "Tone Tweakin".
I also run the .22+ through the 4 x 10 cabinet of the Blue Angel.

65plexi

I play a '99 R9 that I bought from Mark Bishop (Mark's Guitar Loft - great dealer and guy, by the way)

Thru a '65 Block Logo JTM-45/Straight Cab w/20 watt Celestions

Why? The response from the amp is very dynamic, and the Les Paul is a good one. (I also have Rolph '59 pickups in the guitar)

I just realized - (again) I sure get a lot of great input from here - I found out about Mark, about '99 R9s, and about Rolphs from this forum!

-John;)

ajowens

76 Artisan and a Line 6 Spider because it's got a LOT of good sounds and is super convenient around the house. For traditional tube amp stuff I still have a tweed Peavey vintage combo that sounds pretty good when it heats up too

zz666

'94 Black Custom with a Dirty Fingers and Duncan '59 - (Jimmy Page wiring)
'81 Creme Custom (The pickups are amazing - They have gold 'Patent Applied For' stickers on them - Jimmy Page wiring)
Rectifier and MK2 C thru greenback cabs - Why do I use Boogies? Ive tried most of the amps out there? and keep coming back to the Boogie tone (NOT THE SCOOPED NU-METAL TONE EITHER)
Favorite players - Zakk Wylde and John Sykes

wpod

'01 Historic '54 GoldTop (7.9 lbs) and Rivera Jake Studio Combo...

Last edited:

TonguePirate

I play my 70' Lp Custom Black through a Blonde Fender 65' Deluxe RI.
Sounds Great !
My only complaint is that I have to run a distortion pedal at lower volumes to get that dirty sound. The pedal really inhibits the quality of my tone.
When I'm rehearsing with the boys I set the volume right in between 7 & 8 & let her scream. This amp cuts right through the mix with the Les Paul. I'm going to try it for the first time with my Gretsch this weekend.

mole

94 R7 through a jmp 50 into a tweed reissue straight cab (all thanks to Mark Bishop!)
57 classics rule.
Straight cabs rule.
Mark Bishop Rules.
The Les Paul Forum kicks ayuss!

jimmyg

o.k. i use a 2000 les paul classic ( herritage cherry sunburst of coarse) & a fender blues junior... the paul really drives the amp nicley