• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

for newbies only (under 200 posts) what model LP and amp do you play the most and why

graybeard65

Generally speaking, my first choice is an old R7 Black Beauty that was an unexpected gift years ago (new) and has been my daily player for a quarter of a century. That's the go-to, and I have a 2017 Classic that is my drag-to-rehearsals player...it's nearly four pounds lighter than the R7, and has far less sentimental value should anything happen.

My current go-to amp I a Li'l Dawg D-Lux (5E3) that just inspires me -an amp so good that it's like an instrument. Next choice is either a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb reissue, or a Marshall DSL40, depending on what I want to hear.

For flavor an variety, theres a Nash t52 and a Clapton strat if I need or want a single coil spank

Jdv42

Great post, depends on the night, and if aggravating the neighborhood is in order,
70 sg standard, 3 95 lppp, a 2012 custom gold top, or if feeling a certain way 1990 Ibanez jem floral pattern.
Orginal stack of GBX 4/12s, marshall 1965 stack with a vintage modern head, or two custom fender hotrod 1x12, or super sonic 60.

graybeard65

My number one for 25 years has been an R7 Black Beauty named “Mistress Mojo”...she is a heavy b***h, just over 12 pounds.

my current favorite home/practice amp is a Li’l Dawg 5E3 copy, otherwise it’s a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb Reissue or a Marshall DSL40C.

B18D9C47-EEC3-41FD-A8F3-6826F762B3CC.jpeg2EB5E7CA-761F-4801-96B1-7819BAD112D2.jpg

Jedi_Exile

I'm playing LP Standard for 6 years. I have no amp. Only hardware mixer, audio interface and computer.

rynomig

i'll go first.

i like my 01 std+ with antiquities most of all. i play it into either a silverface champ or silverface bassman into a 2x12. nothing added other than a distortion or boost pedal. i gotta go with the champ with the pharoah class-a-boost in front as my favorite setup. it gets that nice tubey breakup sound. on a rare occasion i'll use a digitech all in one pedal on a filthy setting to exorcise my metal demons. and i gotta confess that i still really dig abusing the '79 "the paul" on occasion also.

i hope the wise old sages of the LPF are not offended by this thread. i apologize for excluding them but i really am interested in hearing from some of the 4000+ members who, like myself, spend the great majority of their time here reading.

to those wise old sages, i enjoy the great majority of the info and a lot of the humor you all share here. many thanks.

2017 Studio T - Ebony, using fender champion 20 for practising, Blackstar id core for recording and crate gxt100 for live

Racer X

I use a 2015 Traditional with a vintage Marshall JCM900 head and a vintage Marshall JCM800 Lead 4x12 cab. It's more than I need for home practice but I love the sound. My neighbours are good people:peace2

Edited to add: The guitar came with Seymour Duncan APH pickups but the original Tribute pickups were in the case. Not sure if I'll switch back or keep the SD in. I have not watched enough videos to make a decision yet. IF I switch, the APH will go in my Epiphone Flying V.

madh4ttr

2019 Gibson LP 60's Standard Bourbon Burst) standard
Epiphone 1960's Tribute Plus (Black Cherry) 1/2 step

Blackstar Artisan Anniversary w/Greenback

FlamesAreWicked

Currently...

2019 60s Standard with Cream T Whisker Bucker pickups
2019 SG Standard 61
2017 Firebird T
2002 Fender Classic Series 60s Sunburst w/ Texas Specials
Friedman Smallbox 50
Marshall 1960a with V30s and Greenbacks.

more often than not I just plug straight in but on occasion I use my TS9 that I’ve had since the mid 90s. Once in a while I’ll put a reverb or delay in loop to mix it up.

globalist

Seeing as I'm new here, I'll go:

My 50's Tribute 2016 T Gold Top into a SuperChamp x2 Tweed with the Eminence Ragin Cajun. Ernie Ball VP JR Tuner and volume pedal, Way Huge Overrated Special, Tone City Sweet Cream, and a Fender Bubbler Chorus. (Love the VP-JR as my amp doesn't have an effects loop and the pedal does)

When I'm really feeling..."generous" to the neighbors I have run that pedalboard into an additional Vox VT40x via stereo out, or in a Dry/wet from the line out on the Fender.

Been focused on building my studio up a bit and my guitar gear buying has been slacking.

wstsdr

Like any sensible beginner (sort of) I'm playing with an R9 (avatar pic) through my old Marshall Class 5 amp. :dude:

Now I just need to figure out how to minimize that gummy feel on the neck. smh.

New to the group...thanks for being here so I can geek out.

lp+lilmarsh.jpg

Last edited:

AndrewCCM

1982 Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Mesa Lonestar Special

Attachments

• IMG_3181.jpg
    IMG_3181.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1916.jpg
    IMG_1916.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 4

Brek

I have 4 les Paul’s, 2 x les Paul special double cuts, a 2013 R9 light factory aged, and a 60th anniversary 1960 V2 neck, I play them all about the same. I have three amps, a modded Marshall origin 5 (10 inch creamback and a cryo el84, sounds very punchy played clean, a cornford Carrera also with cryo el84, and a class 5 head with Opr mod played into speaker of either combo. I play them all about the same as I am working on technique at the moment and will settle on one once I get proficient at playing.

Jsteinman

Hello! Depending on the venue I use the following:
23316689_10212732526621496_4049407469622476758_n.jpg

Hudman

Long time player (1985) - brand new Gibson Les Paul owner. 2019 Standard 60’s through a Blackstar HT20R.

greg-delta

Les Paul Froum Member
Fake les paul copies, my edwards is my favorite, and I play through a HiWatt amp sim

mountainpix

My #1 is a 2004 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Nashville), originally black, but top sanded to natural (and resealed), pickup covers removed, and knobs swapped out in the style of Mick Ronson by a luthier in the UK. Brilliant guitar! My most played amp, in terms of greatest number hours of use per month, is a Blackstar HT-5R. The joys of apartment living!
2004_LPC_Ronson1.jpg2004_LPC_Ronson2.jpg

brandtkronholm

My #1 is a 2004 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Nashville), originally black, but top sanded to natural (and resealed), pickup covers removed, and knobs swapped out in the style of Mick Ronson by a luthier in the UK. Brilliant guitar! My most played amp, in terms of greatest number hours of use per month, is a Blackstar HT-5R. The joys of apartment living!
View attachment 11774View attachment 11775

Very cool!
(And welcome!)

SuproValco

Hello, new member here.

thumbnail.jpg

I have a lot of amps, but these three probably get gigged the most.
The tweed Supro is from the mid 50s, pair of 6V6s and a field coil 10". Absolutely magical sounding amp, but as you can imagine it only works at low volume gigs in smaller rooms.
The 'rhino hide' Supro is from '60, it has 6973s and is astoundingly loud for its size. Lots of headroom, rated at about 18 watts but it will absolutely demolish a tweed Deluxe.
The tweed Pro clone comes out for the loud gigs, something that happens very rarely these days.

As you can tell from the photo...I like P90s.
Many of my guitar heroes played goldtops.
People like Jody Williams, Freddy King, Hubert Sumlin, etc.