• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

for newbies only (under 200 posts) what model LP and amp do you play the most and why

puma

Hi all,

First post on the forum here!
Typical training session: 2016 LP Standard Heritage Cherry Sunburst straight into a 1991 Fender Pro Junior (tweed)
When more time is available: 1991 LP Custom through some effects (mostly TS9) into a modern Fender '65 DR amp (vibrato channel with reverb).

Happy new year!

Jazzkat

At the moment I've got my Les Paul custom running through a Marshall Guvnor II pedal and then into my Mambo solid state Jazz amp. It works really well but I'm gassing for a JTM45 or a JCM800 even though both are way too much amp as I don't play in a band anymore:hee

EdF_PA

2017 Les Paul Standard HP Bourbon Burst into Marshall DSL40CR. The sound I've always wanted.

Tygr1

Hi folks,

Long time member, first time poster. I play my LP Studio into my Egnater Rebel 30. A great combination that really doesn't need pedals. Perfect for the bedroom, which is where I play 95% of the time.

DSCF7099.jpg

DG2003

2003 Les Paul Custom Shop thru a Mesa Studio .22+. This amp, while not perfect, is a great gigging amp at 18-20 watts. It's old and needs an EQ fix, but I use an old Boss GE-10 thru the effects loop, and that is a great workaround. I'd love something that doesn't have a master volume, but it's a great little amp.

shrews824

Just picked up a 2012 Gibson LP Traditional in Honeyburst. I've owned two others, but no longer have them. I had a '92 Standard in Wine Red and a '98 Studio in Black. Loved them both, but I've always been more of a Fender guy so I just sold them. As far as amps go, my main amp is a 2003 Reissue '65 Fender Twin Reverb. I also have a '96 Fender Hot Rod DeVille (2x12) and a little 80's model Champ 12. I actually play through the Champ the most just because it's quiet and not so cumbersome. It's not the greatest sounding amp in the world, but it gets the job done for practicing and noodling.

gibsonlespaultraditional.jpg

cooltouch

Permission to revise and extend my remarks ---

Somewhere above in the sea of posts, I mentioned my 2013 Les Paul Traditional and ~2000 Les Paul Special -- double cut with P90s. Both wonderful sounding instruments. And now they sound even better because I just bought a Marshall CODE 50. What a spectacular little amp! I can get just about every tone imaginable out of this relatively compact little unit. I'll be using it mostly for woodshedding and recording with my digital audio workstation, but it has plenty of power for gigging at small to mid-size venues.

I've just scratched the surface with all the things this amp can do. But here's a quick gist: Using a modelling technology Marshall calls MST, they've managed to stuff inside this little unit 14 preamps, 4 power amps, and 8 speaker cabinets, plus 24 fx with the capability to use up to 5 simultaneously. But wait, there's more! After downloading the app for the CODE to your iOS or Android device, via BLuetooth you can then select, modify and store (if desired) any setting changes you've made, all via your handheld device. The Bluetooth function also allows you to play your MP3s through the amp's speaker or headphones out, so you can easily practice to your favorite tunes. And the CODE also has USB so that you can interface your amp directly with your DAW. Wow. And it's all wrapped up in an elegantly understated package.

Yes, I would recommend this amp to anybody.

Mongonius

I’m very much a newb....so much so that it is shameful. My R8 bourbon burst is on the way from Gibson right now. All I have is a fender blues Jr. . Still have some reading to do in the forum before I choose an amp.

why? Cuz I don’t know any better.

metropolis

...thru a Mesa Studio .22+. This amp, while not perfect, is a great gigging amp at 18-20 watts. It's old and needs an EQ fix, but I use an old Boss GE-10 thru the effects loop, and that is a great workaround. I'd love something that doesn't have a master volume, but it's a great little amp.

I've got a later model one with EQ and the lead master control. I love it and as you say it's a great gigging amp. I also have a Studio Preamp which has some nice touches like extra tone shaping switches and a lead drive control.

Shocktop99

I feel like I should do one of these since I haven't yet, Pretty much I Play only my 79 Les Paul Custom through my Roland Jc-120 with my small pedal board(Korg Mini Pitchblack Tuning Pedal, Fulltone OCD, Boss DD-3, and Strymon Flint Reverb/Trem Unit), currently in the process of putting together a 83 Fender Strat Elite!! That's about it!

Begray Dactor

2017 Les Paul T faded Cherry through a Marshall DSL 1H paired with an MX212 cabinet.

I'm ashamed to admit that I can't get it loud enough to give that nice valve amp break up (my hearing is a bit too sensitive). Might have to buy an attenuator for it so I can get that nice distorted sound without killing my hearing and pissing off the relatives :peace2.

I also own a 2018/19 Les Paul Custom (ordered 2018 received 19) that I'm yet to hook up to a big amp.

citson

Hey there. I've been following the forum for a while now, but just recently posted my first comment. I'm all about my 2013 Desert Burst Standard and Fender Bassbreaker. Love that combination. Cheers

IMG_2697.jpgIMG_2698.jpg

lns

My Traditional "HP" 2016 - which is the best guitar I have ever owned. I also own a Standard 2007
Ce9sZRd.jpg

sRX1vsb.jpg

I mostly play through an Atomic Amplifire Box (Friedman HBE model) into a Yamaha THR10X (my best ever amp purchase).
When I play with a band (years ago now) I use my Hughes & Kettner Switchblade (programmable tube head with FX) & 4x12" V30 cab which sounds great.
I also have a Blackstar HT5 that is unused because the THR10X just sounds too good at such low volumes & with almost no tweaking

GoldTopBunny

My most played LP is a 81 deluxe, and amp i have been using a lot a Yamaha THR10, because its more comfortable to carry from room to room and its not heavy
the LP because i love it, its a dream to play (although i wish it was a little bit less heavy)

BrewCrew

I mostly play either my '79 custom or R8 through an inexpensive Peavey studio pro 112. It was my first amp and I've honestly meant to upgrade to something better over the years. It's just whenever I'm ready to buy, I end up with a new guitar instead, lol.

LPR6

I have several LP’s and amps. My favorite combination is my CS R6 through one of my 50 watt JCM800’s.

Boosttt

I play my Les Paul guitars equally. I play my 80 Custom with new type Kahler brass/steel seat/rollers/cam for soft rock and blues. My Zakk Wylde Custom for screaming harmonics and Modern rock and metal, My VooDoo for modern sound but less solo's, more for heavy rock/metal rhythm and what I call aggressive blues. I sold my standard mostly because I don't like rosewood fretboards, but played smooth rock/ballads on that, now use the old LP. All through Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier and 2 4X12 Mesa cabs with Vintage 30's. My 1980 Les Paul Custom with new Brass/steel Kahler upgrade is probably my favorite as it has the most versatility and has some serious mojo. Just feels great to play.