• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

for newbies only (under 200 posts) what model LP and amp do you play the most and why

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

My 1990 JTM45, just sounds utterly fantastic

Vp8swaIl.jpg

2014 LP Traditional 120th Anniversary

wV8SXkkm.jpg

Attachments

• Vp8swaIm.jpg
    Vp8swaIm.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 1

bluesbreaker88

My favorites are my Honeyburst LP Classic (2001, i think) w/ Fralin Pure PAF's or my newly acquired Junior single cut in tobacco. During rehearsal, I use a Fender tweed Deluxe built by Mission Amps with a hemp cone ceramic speaker:wow. My live rig, recently, has been my 1970 Deluxe Reverb (blackfaced with Weber 12F150B) and my Ceriatone JTM 45 (1x12 combo with Scumnico) in dual mono with a Beano Boost in front to goose them a bit when necessary.

barman

I started playing in 1993, I'm now almost 38 years old.
I've had numerous Les Paul over the years, Gibson USA, Custom Shop and Japanese 80s copies.
I finally settled on a 2002 Les paul Standard, because it just rocks. The best Les paul I've ever had (over a dozen, from the 1990s to the 2010s).

Here is a clip of it with my new favorite amp:

Last edited:

cooltouch

I have a 2013 Traditional that I acquired last year. Sort of a burgundy color with a nice flame pattern on the top. I love this guitar. It plays fantastic and sounds great. My amplification -- the big stuff -- Marshall VS102R. I also have a little practice Marshall I frequently use -- a VS8020. Much of the time, I'm running the guitar through a digital interface into my computer where I can run modeling programs. The one I use most often for that is Amplitube.

Worth mentioning, I also have a double-cut LP Special with two P90s. I bought this guitar in about 2000, as I recall. It has that killer P90 sound and is a very good player.

I have no plans to alter either guitar. I like them both just the way they are.

folgers_is_evil

2008 R9 w/ stock Burstbuckers 1 and 2, height properly set, 10-46 standard tuning, sometimes I do the wraparound stuff
This goes in a Marshall 2525 plugged into a Zilla Cab Fat Baby 1X12 Celestion G12M Creamback 65
Carbon copy and RV5 in the effect loop, the other pedal in the front.
Sometimes I use the self-built BF deluxe reverb head in the fat baby with its own reverb, no delay, other pedals in front of the amp
But what I really like is the R9 straight into my self-built 18W combo loaded w/ a 20W Greenback well broken-in! That gold to my ears!
I am planning a Tweed dDeluxe and a Tweed Twin caus' I have to!

cooltouch

Is that 18w self-built combo of yours built from any of the designs on the web? I've seen so many, I don't know which would be the best choice. Also, about what did it cost to build the amp, would you say?

Currently rocking a 1957 Les Paul Special through a 60 Watt Marshal TSL. The guitar made me fall in love with playing and I think it sounds up there with a burst. Hoping to one day try it through a old tweed.

WytLytnyn

So I'm back after a decade or so....so I guess I'm still a noob. I put down the guitar for about 7-8 years and now they're back in my hands again.

As for what I play through:

One of my LPs (LPS, Gothic)or my beloved SG-I (with an early prod Pearly Gates)> Boss TU-2> Wampler Ego Compressor>Tumnus>Mesa V-Twin (favorite dirt machine)>Empress SuperDelay>Fender VibroChamp or DR.

Those seem to be what I play with about 85% of the time. I have a pile of old Boss pedals (dirt, chorus, delay, eq, etc) that I swap in and out depending on the mood or what I'm playing.

A neighbor of mine (just learning basics) is trying to learn some Cult tunes so he was over the other day and we ran VTwin into my old Boss purple flanger into my old Boss Super Chorus. We hooked up two amps and went stereo and then put the SuperDelay on one amp. The flanger/chorus/delay combo took a little bit of knob turning but we came pretty close to the original "She Sells Sanctuary" tone. My neighbor loved it and seems to have the intro down pretty well. Scotch also helped with the experiment/lesson.

A few weeks ago, I picked up a decent used first run LP Gothic (Studio?). I'm going to put a StewMac Golden Age roller bridge to deal with tuning stability and bridge rattle (I have one in my LPS) and then a set of SD Sentient/Pegasus for metal work. It currently has a Gibson 500T which is kinda like the "Dave's Insanity Sauce" pickup in that it sound like that sauce tastes: hot mud. It needs clarity and note separation and the Sentient/Pegasus seems to have positive reviews in that arena. This was also the default pickup in my SG-I which I tore out 20 years ago.

I'm also looking into getting a newer Traditional due to the solid body and neck profile. I'd probably put some PAF-variants into it for Southern Blues Rock and Jazz. I've got the Pearly Gates in the bridge of my SG which is probably the best pickup to my ears, but I'm eager to try some Fralin's or Throbak's.

Also, I may pop in a set of Fralin P-90's into my LPS. It's got these one dimensional P-100s that only sound good on 10 and are really lacking in the dynamics department.

You may see me ask some noob questions on setups and pickups as I've been out of the game for a while but now have the time and money to throw at this game.

Play hard and loud.

WytLytnyn

Currently rocking a 1957 Les Paul Special through a 60 Watt Marshal TSL. The guitar made me fall in love with playing and I think it sounds up there with a burst. Hoping to one day try it through a old tweed.

What P-90's do you use?

Per my previous post, I'm thinking about Fralins or Lollars for my Special.

Last edited:

miczap

It honestly depends on my mood, but my 'go to'* is a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Ltd. Mahogany Top with a Fender Blues Junior Ltd. Tweed with a tiny touch of BD-2 when necessary.

I play lots of blues and classic rock so with the above i can dial in almost any tone in that space that I need to.

When I'm in a power chord mood, I pull out the single p90 LP MM and stick into a Vox AC4BL.

*Having just purchased a very nice 335- I think that's going to exceed play time from my trad pretty quick.

metropolis

Since joining this forum it's been mostly by 2002 Les Paul Standard light burst with Burstbucker in the bridge and Bareknuckle Crawler neck through a Fender Blues Junior III Tweed with an Overrated Special for a little kick. I've got Monty's PAFs on order for this guitar and already replaced the harness with new components and 50s wiring. The Blues Jr is a great little wannabe Tweed for home and the Standard is such a great playing guitar since its recent fret dress.

In the last few days I've rediscoverd my Mesa Boogie Studio 22.+ combo which is an incredibly versatile little amp and perfect for the home and I'm afraid often puts the Blues Junior to shame.

I also have a 2015 LP Deluxe which I'm about to replace the 'way too hot' mini humbuckers for Creamery ones - they really put me off the guitar right now, and a Laney GH100L which is overkill for the home but great for British crunch tones when everyone is out! I also have a Line6 Pod X3 Live for when I have to be extra quiet.

The main team (excluding the Standard):
1CcmjKQ.jpg

The Les Pauls, including my father's 2016 Standard '58 Faded (he's jealous of the flame on my Standard)

qy1e39s.jpg

Last edited:

D.MAX

2011 LP Traditional
ADA MP-1
Marshall 9005
Marshall 1936 2X12

Great feel
Great sound

Last edited:

PabloHarlem

A 2006 Custom LP into a Vox AC30 or Axe FxII.

HTML:

Attachments

• 30628543747_70353846b8_b.jpg
    30628543747_70353846b8_b.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 10

JakeGrafton

Only got two LP's now, both Standards. Just got the '13 GT yesterday. The Honey Burst is '16. The amp is Fender Blues DeLuxe Reissue. Love both Standards, neckprofile (60:s slim) suits me fine and they're both gorgeous IMHO. And the amp's got all I need in tone and volume! For "bedroom" practice I use my Fender Mustang II. (Or my Yama THR5 when travelling.)

PC071384.jpg

Last edited:

shupe13

A 2015 LP Traditional Classic ABR (Sam Ash special run) into whatever... She makes everything sound good.

longlowrumble

Hi all! I've been playing for 40-odd years, and I bought my first LP this past spring. It's a 2014 Traditional in tobacco sunburst, and it mostly gets played through my Blackstar HT Club 40.

Rex Carlson

I have a CC 59 Les Paul (Nicki) which really sounds awesome (it looks conspicuously like the Les Paul in the banner at the top of this page!). I play through a Bad Cat Cub III or Matchless HC-30 and 2-12 Cab. I also like my 56 Standard with the P90's, again through the Bad Cat. I still have the first Les Paul I ever owned - a 73 Les Paul Custom (Norlin). I've had it over 40 years. The fat frets and low action make it a dream to play.

moejoe

i play a nice 2016 traditional in iced tea burst AA flame top thru my marshall 1959 super lead or my 75 traynor mark 3...i use mainly a jdm green meanie for crunch and a beano boost from analog.man i also like my ts-808 and a 74 mxr phase 90 when plugged to the traynor...this set up makes an happy camper out of myself..

JBird80

2005-06 custom shop 62 LP SG - exotic sp comp - mxr carbon copy - 68 custom deluxe reverb on the custom channel. I can crank it at most gigs and it’s a great practice amp. It’s got that very complex tube saturation and I can just grab it and go. Sounds great and didn’t break the bank. I may get another one and daisy chain them for bigger venues.