• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

for newbies only (under 200 posts) what model LP and amp do you play the most and why

FBPB

I have a 2018 BFG HH

Plugged into a Micro Terror Dark

Which is plugged into a Palmer cab with one Greenback and one V30

It's loud!

KevinPlaysGuitar

Been running either my EVH Striped series or Epiphone LP Ultra w/Dirty Fingers into a modded JCM900. Used to have a Gibson LP Studio and preferred the Epi, looking to get back into the Gibson game soon though.

Dunedin56

2004 Standard

'65 PRRI for clean
Friedman runt for clean, crunch and dirty.
Supro tremolo pedal and Strymon Bluesky.

2019-10-12 16.24.12.jpg

Last edited:

David Garner

93 Standard, Ceriatone 18 Watt. Both shown here.

View attachment 9909

I added a 2016 Traditional and these days I’m playing it more through my Oldfield Club D’Lux.

6ZPRv3i.jpg

b80

First post, here!

I have two Les Pauls. A Gibson Les Paul Special (double humbucker edition) and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom in Silverburst! The Gibson is standard tuning. The Epiphone is half step down.

My amp is an Orange Rocker 30 currently being run though a Marshall 1965A 4x10 cab. Lot's of creamy/punchy goodness.

My band plays alt rock/punk rock type songs. We have fun.

BZmg8Dd.jpg

hGFAIxQ.jpg

CK6

Because it makes the sound that I have in my head.

- RR Custom with Wolfetone Marshallhead pickups & Grover tuners
- '81 JMP 2203
- B cab loaded with Scumback speakers (2x12 M75 & 2x12 H75 65w)

Spindrifter

2017 Les Paul Standard HP into a Boss GT-5, 5 cable method (midi switching) into a EVH 5150III 50W, running 2 EVH 212 cabs.

Hemi

1999 classic honey burst or 76 custom through a Mesa Single rectiverb 50 combo or Marshall class 5 with 1960b cab.

Mudrunner

I like to keep it simple.....an '81 The Paul Firebrand Deluxe (T-Tops) through a re-issue '57 Fender Champ...with a bit of Tube Screamer for some balance. I add some reverb and some wah when the mood strikes me.

Fudbutter

72 Custom bought new from Manny's with every penny I had ! Took an hour at Orange Julius to get up the nerve (any old timey NYers remember that?) Gigged with it for years. Haven't played it much since the early 90's but I am planning to bring it in for a nice set up and should use it again. Probably the most important material thing in my entire life given what it meant all those years. Long ago, I moved into an new apartment. While at work, it was broken into. They took just about everything, stereos, class ring, 60's Vox wah, Univox fuzz, clothes (and I was not the best dresser), boxes of junk I was planning to throw away, etc. But they left the Les Paul in the case on my living room couch (moved it there from the bedroom).

Also have a 97 LP Classic (the one with "1960" on the pick guard) that I really, really like. I've heard a lot of negativity about it (dude, you need to change ... sell … burn …) but I think it plays and sounds great. In fact, that's what's on the stand in the 2nd bedroom/studio now.

Does a Gold top Epi count? Not bad but clearly not in the same league. I never use it.

At home, I play through the board with all sorts of devices, pedals and dodads (I love devices and pedals and dodads, mankind's best invention along with the wheel and the PCM synth). In process of trying to do it with rack stuff (asked for advice elsewhere in this site) but so far, not much success in getting a good sound. I'll get there. The classic sounds better than most in this set up.

Out, I've been using either a Trace Elliot Velocette (hot on the old Harmony Central forum back then when they were blowing it out, but nice little tube amps, I have two so someday I'll run it in stereo) or a Line 6 Spider. That's if I actually get to play guitar, though. Have some other stuff not touched in years like a Music Man RP110. I brought the Classic to a gig once or twice but I won't take My Andersons (Hollow Cobra, Cobra Special, short scale like LP's), Grosh Retro or '72 Custom out. Usually it's an SG, Warmoth that someone put together, Flying V or a McInturff Polaris.

Also been doing open mics because I really don't get to play guitar much with the band. They just don't play the type of music for it so I play harp (Lone Wolf Blues Co FX pedals … A+++). Played one OM for a long time every week. Brought either a looper with a memory like the RC-3 mated to a GT-1 or the JS-8 loaded with stuff from my synth. People were older so they liked the loud guitar stuff. I would even do some feeble attempts at covers like Mahavishnu and King Crimson and one guy would always yell out, "Still Got the Record!" Then the guy who ran it moved it to a different bar and the younger crowd there could care less about instrumentals (oh, it's the old guy again), so now the wife is making me sing actual songs (yuck :) ). Taking an Eric C. Brown tomorrow, we'll see how that works out.

I know that's more than asked for here but the wife is looking at me like she wants some help in the kitchen and I needed to look busy.

bobo1972

Ok so currently my rig is the following. Fender blues junior and a 2019 les paul standard burbon burst.

Steveo119

2019 LP 50's Standard. It's all I play these days.

I play through a backstar HT-5r mk2 and a pedal board.

View album “Recents”.jpg

Last edited:

Sposey549

I’m new here but have read many post. To the question I swap between 3 Gibson Les Paul Traditionals, Tobacco Burst with BB 2 & 1, Honey Burst with Seymour Pearly Gates, and a SunBurst with Dimarzio Super Distortion and PAF 36 Ann.. I also throw in my Les Paul Junior through a Orange Brent Hinds Terror to a Orange 212 cab with a few pedals in the mix.

Jared Purdy

When it comes to amps, and guitar combos, I've moved around a bit. As for amps, I declare myself a serial philanderer. Since taking up the electric guitar ten years ago (I've been playing acoustic for forty years), I've moved around from a Peavy Classic 30, to a Fender 65 PRRI, to a Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special (112 combo), to a Swart AST Master Mk II 112 combo, a 74' Fender Silverface PR, back to a Lonestar Special, back to a Swart AST Master Mk II, then to a Fender Blues Junior III, then to a Supro Blues King 12 and now a Fender 64' PR Hand Wired.

In that time, I had a Fender American Deluxe Strat, which was the first electric guitar, and then shortly after I bought a LP Traditional, sold both of those guitars and bought a 2011 Fender Custom Shop Strat, a little later I bought a Hot Rod Tele, sold that after a few years and bought a 2013 CS R9, had that for a couple of years and sold it, and then recently I bought a 60th Anniversary CS R9.

The current mix is with the 2011 CS Strat, 60th CS R9 and the hand wired 64' PR. Of all those amps and combinations, I'd have tip my hat to the Lonestar for being the most versatile, and for accommodating single PU's and humbuckers equally. It's downside is the weight.

The 64' PR is a very different PR than the 65 PRRI or the stock 74' Silverface PR that I had. The latter two amps have issues with the speaker flubbing out, and the humbuckers definitely do that to those amps. The Strat will too, though at slightly higher volumes. The 64' PR holds it together with either guitar. There's been some discussion about this on tdpri.com. Since buying the 60th CS R9 and the Fender 64' PR, the two have been pugged into each other non-stop. The tones are glorious, and when you dig in a little, even with the volume on the amp set to 4/10, you get some really nice bite. Obviously, the PR is an amp that is known for it's cleans, and being that I play mostly by myself, in my house, I'm not playing at concert-level volumes, so clean works.