• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Authenticating a Derrig?

billywade

I'm being offered a guitar that is purported to be a Derrig. I know very little about these guitars but this one looks very nice. It even has an appraisal from George Gruhn !WOW! Anyway, always a skeptic I would like to get some help from the pros here. I've done the searches and can't come up with anything substantial that could be used to authenicate a Derrig. I can send anyone interested pictures. The serial number is definately not a number that would be associated with a '59 Les Paul as it begins with a 2 and it is pressed in. There is no pickguard and the electronics are all very modern. The bridge also appears to my untrained eye to be a Nashville. I haven't seen this guitar in person so all I can give you is the pix provided. I don't want to discuss price but I will say that I think that it is reasonable (provided it is a Derrig). Help please. I'd like to own a quality replica. An absolute perfect copy is not necessary although I've been eyeing the MAX copies too. Again HELP PLEASE

John Catto

It's not this one that Gruhn had for sale ages back is it??

derrigfrontdetail.jpg

Last edited:

billywade

not that one

No it isn't. I'd jump on that one in a second. This one doesn't appear to have nearly as much flame. Anyone interested in helping a brother out please email me for pix. blakek@cox-internet.com

RickN

Just an FYI about the bridge - it's not a Nashville. It's too narrow, and Nashvilles traditionally have the adjustment screws pointing backwards towards the tail piece.

soldano16

It even has an appraisal from George Gruhn

Last year when I called him about an appraisal for my replica, he was really pissed and said he would have nothing to do with "fake" guitars. I just said thanks anyways and that was that.

Do the Derrigs have the "G" word on them?

Cody

The Derrigs do have the Gibson logo.
That cracks me up: the guy who sold a Derrig won't appraise a "fake"!?

"Don't talk to me about heroes; most of these men sink like subs"

John; is it just me, or does that Derrig have the toggle switch a tad too close to the neck?

John Catto

Got your email Billy, I don't think it's a Derrig, if it is it's before he figured out how to do them ;). At a guess judging by the control cavity, heel, truss-rod adjustment and routing I'd say it's a Japanese copy (maybe one of the first Yamaha ones) that's had a German repro Gibson Logo installed. If Gruhn appraised it you really do have to wonder.

More Derrig Pics

dera.jpg

derb.jpg

derc.jpg

derd.jpg

Last edited:

luthier

If the guitar has impressed serial numbers it probably wasn't made by Kris Derrig. Kris probably made less than 25 Les Pauls. When he was in California he made no more than 12 instruments. Before that he lived in Atlanta and probably didn't make more than a dozen or so while he was working there. All of the ones he made in California had serial numbers that were inked on. The pictures I've seen of ones he made in Atlanta also were inked. If you want to e-mail the pictures I will look at them and let you know my opinion.

Jim Foote

TruelasDougblood

I'm not John but

Flamed93+ said:

John....WTF, are my eyes playing tricks on that strap button????

it's a little leather doodad that replaces the stock strap button, and then you fasten your strap to it. Non-intrusive to install, cheap ( about $2.95) and work well. I haven't lost one yet.

I'd probably spring for a new one before mine looked like that tho.

Christian

I know this thread is very old, but the topic is right. I have been offered to buy this ‘58 les paul, supposed to be made by Kris Derrig. Could someone on this forum please help shed some light on this?
95F11814-42C7-4F1F-AE61-9886EBC51FDD.jpg17FFD237-F378-4B1E-94DE-E4CB44EFC4EA.jpg4C67A067-74D8-4E73-AC89-A117244CCA44.jpg

fred dons

if it is a Derrig than he was a bit sloppy with the logo, on Slash's LP he used a more correct Version, on this one the builder used a 70ties logo which on a 58 replica is not a mistake any serious replica builder should make
otherwise a beautiful guitar (but the logo would have to go )

Christian

if it is a Derrig than he was a bit sloppy with the logo, on Slash's LP he used a more correct Version, on this one the builder used a 70ties logo which on a 58 replica is not a mistake any serious replica builder should make
otherwise a beautiful guitar (but the logo would have to go )

I agree, the logo was the first thing that struck me, and the first step to identifying it (i.e. not likely a real Gibson). The guitar itself is a really good les paul, plays and sounds every bit as good if not better than any of my LPR9s. I read somewhere that the best way to identify a Derrig is the pickup cavity, does anyone have a picture or discription of what I should be looking for?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner