• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Kinda dumb question, but I’m just out of touch these days

Guitardon

I’ve started looking At LP’s after a while not following the latest models. I see Gibson is calling them Standard Reissue instead of Historic Reissues or True Historic. Are that one on the same? I remember them calling the less accurate guitars LP Standard in the past. So I don’t wish to be uninformed if I buy something. Are there differences in the new models than those from 2016 onward. If so what are the upgrades. I currently own one sorta newer model. It’s a HOG 90’s burst finished by Murphy which has TH specs. Are there improvements over the True Historic reissues.

Thanks in advance for any info you might share.

goldtop0

Good to see you back after a while away:2cool
Necks have less meat to them(over the whole range unfortunately since '18..........nothing too much new about that though I guess) as I've noticed.

Tim Plains

True Historics were made for a couple years. Reissues we all know were called Standard Reissue during that time to differentiate between the two and make True Historics sound more appealing. 2015, 2016, and I think part of 2017 only.

Guitardon

True Historics were made for a couple years. Reissues we all know were called Standard Reissue during that time to differentiate between the two and make True Historics sound more appealing. 2015, 2016, and I think part of 2017 only.

Thanks, I wondered why I see LP Standard Reissue for sale. I always thought they called the “not so accurate models LP” Standards. I think if I do anything I’ll stick with buying from Marks Guitar Loft since there is never a question of what you’re getting. With replication is serial numbers and different names Gibson calls them can be confusing. After 2002 when they sharpened the corners of the inlays it’s hard to know what you’re buying. For example 9 3xxx can be a 2003 or a 2013 or 9 0xxx can be 2000, 2010 or 2020. The later has the newer upgrades. But for me, I wouldn’t know a 2010 vs a 2020 since I don’t think there are obvious physical differences after 2002 when they sharpened the corners and changed the color of the inlays. BTW my 2002, extremely flamed R8 dark burst is still my favorite guitar. I sold all my newer models except my HOG 2018 Murphy painted 90’s burst. It’s a real beauty with TH specs. But somehow I think I need something new, like one of the newer Bz models.

El Gringo

Thanks, I wondered why I see LP Standard Reissue for sale. I always thought they called the “not so accurate models LP” Standards. I think if I do anything I’ll stick with buying from Marks Guitar Loft since there is never a question of what you’re getting. With replication is serial numbers and different names Gibson calls them can be confusing. After 2002 when they sharpened the corners of the inlays it’s hard to know what you’re buying. For example 9 3xxx can be a 2003 or a 2013 or 9 0xxx can be 2000, 2010 or 2020. The later has the newer upgrades. But for me, I wouldn’t know a 2010 vs a 2020 since I don’t think there are obvious physical differences after 2002 when they sharpened the corners and changed the color of the inlays. BTW my 2002, extremely flamed R8 dark burst is still my favorite guitar. I sold all my newer models except my HOG 2018 Murphy painted 90’s burst. It’s a real beauty with TH specs. But somehow I think I need something new, like one of the newer Bz models.[/QUO Delete

Last edited: