• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Wobbly / loose pots

Matthew290

I have recently brought a new 2020 50s Les Paul Standard. The guitar looks and sounds great however , some of the pots seem to be fairly loose. Usually this wouldn't bother me however it would just be nice to sort this very slight issue out. Here's a link to a video I made so you can understand better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC_L16BG75o. Any feedback on how I could stop this rattling would be greatly appreciated.

Mad Nobby

It's hard to see if the whole pot is loose or if you have a lot of play if you turn the knob?

Mad Nobby

Just take off the knob and check if the nut is loose. Be careful, the knobs are often very hard to take away.

Toecutter

Before you try prying off the knobs, take the cavity cover off to see if the pots in question are loose. If they loose, take the knobs off using the shoelace method to safely remove the knobs. Once removed, use a 3/8" socket or box wrench to carefully tighten the POT nuts (don't over tighten).

Guitardon

Just take off the knob and check if the nut is loose. Be careful, the knobs are often very hard to take away.
Stew-Mac has a nifty knob puller. Works great, I had one that was impossible to get off til I bought the puller.