• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Timbuckers in 2020?

mthrunn

Hey guys,

Here’s a blast from the past- anyone still using Timbuckers these days? I ask only because I saw a set go up for sale and curiosity killed the cat- I snagged them. I guess I’ll be able to answer my own question in a few days, but I’m curious how people feel these stand up to the competition in today’s pickup market?

Hey guys,

Here’s a blast from the past- anyone still using Timbuckers these days? I ask only because I saw a set go up for sale and curiosity killed the cat- I snagged them. I guess I’ll be able to answer my own question in a few days, but I’m curious how people feel these stand up to the competition in today’s pickup market?
Yeah I still have mine, I got two different bridges in obviously two different Mahogany guitars and they sound great.

goldtop0

Yep I've had two sets since 2004 in my LPs...........superb pups is all I can say..........very special:2cool
Haven't used any other PAF style ones......... but compared to '60s T-Tops and vintage PAFs however they shine.

Johnny Q

I have had all manner of boutique pickups in my 1999 R9 and the Tims (Ed A Wind) were hands down the best humbuckers I have ever heard. Now with that said, I ended up selling them because the loose and fluffy wind made for some nasty, whistling microphonics when going for a cranked amp tone. And shout out to Tim for being a super great guy -I attended one of the MSG Cream shows with him back in the mid 2000s.

JQ

Tim

Hi Johnny, how's it going? I hope you are doing well, I had a great time meeting you and Frank at the Cream concert that night! BTW, it may not have been the wind, I always had good success killing a squeal if needed by putting on covers and clamping them real tight before soldering them on.

CMartini

Hey guys,

Yeah I’m still rocking my Timbuckers. I bought them in March of 2007. I just found the eBay purchase email. Lol. I bought them for $400 back then. I understand he quit making them a while ago. He couldn’t keep up with the demand. What are they selling for nowadays? It seemed like a good investment at the time.

goldtop0

He couldn’t keep up with the demand.

Not correct.
After years of winding the pups by hand he had to give it away due to hand fatigue problems.
It was this affliction that he had to give way to.

CMartini

Not correct.
After years of winding the pups by hand he had to give it away due to hand fatigue problems.
It was this affliction that he had to give way to.

Regardless of the reason, he stopped making them. Now they have become a “collector’s item.” How much has the price gone up? I’ve considered selling them over the years. I mean they sound great. It just seems I’ve made my money’s worth on them.

Nick-O

Regardless of the reason, he stopped making them. Now they have become a “collector’s item.” How much has the price gone up? I’ve considered selling them over the years. I mean they sound great. It just seems I’ve made my money’s worth on them.

Sounds to me like you joined the forum to flog them....they are worth whatever a buyer with money is willing to pay.

CMartini

Sounds to me like you joined the forum to flog them....they are worth whatever a buyer with money is willing to pay.

No I joined because I was having an issue with my Les Paul and my fuzz face mini pedal. The fuzz sounds ok with my other guitars. The Les Paul through is very bright. But since you mention it, do you want to buy them? Make me an offer I guess.

Johnny Q

Hi Johnny, how's it going? I hope you are doing well, I had a great time meeting you and Frank at the Cream concert that night! BTW, it may not have been the wind, I always had good success killing a squeal if needed by putting on covers and clamping them real tight before soldering them on.

Hi Tim!! Great to hear from you again, hope you are well and Happy Holiday's to you and yours! :)

Nick-O

No I joined because I was having an issue with my Les Paul and my fuzz face mini pedal. The fuzz sounds ok with my other guitars. The Les Paul through is very bright. But since you mention it, do you want to buy them? Make me an offer I guess.

I sent you a reply via PM.
Lemme know.