• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

impressions of the new Gibson 61 RI SG

sap68/69

What are your impressions of the new Gibson 61 RI SG

What are your impressions of the 61 RI SG ?
If there are any owners of the newer 2019-2020 Gibson SG 61 ?
At a glance it looks like they did a nice job remaking the classic SG 61. ABR-1 Bridge, 61r-61T pickups. Smaller vintage style frets. Maybe other changes that I have missed.
Anyone have one, what do you think ? Did you make any changes ?

Last edited:

Gris Gris Man

I've got one with Vibrola and really love it. I'm an old timer and my first good guitar was a '63 SG Jr. But 3 other guys in my high school back then had '64 SG's with Vibrola and that was always the right look for me. Somehow over the years and lots of acquisitions and sales and trades I never got my hands on one. So I had a big birthday in August and decided to check out the new ones given the positive reviews I'd read. I didn't regret it for a second. The pickups are perfect. And it only cost me a few extra bucks to tweak a few things. I added a vintage correct pick guard, poker chip, truss rod cover, and pointers for the knobs. I also installed a Tone Pros bridge with nylon saddles and that really capped it. I'm the original owner of a '65 ES-335 that has the nylon saddles and I've always preferred the sound of them. All in all it I'm totally delighted. Also, as a bonus the cases Gibson is shipping now are fantastic.

Reactions: K_L

renderit

Love it. WW Spec 61. 2015 though, not new...

36333820951_1e808ded75_3k.jpg

36303068302_40090ef62f_3k.jpg