• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Who Makes Great Mini-HB's?

TM1

I got one of those new Epiphone Crestwood Customs! Absolutely a wonderful guitar and I'm pretty impressed. However I'd like to get a great set of mini's to replace the Asian made ones in the guitar.
Who do you all recommend?
Thanks!

marshall1987

Jason Lollar .........makes great mini-humbucking pickups. You won't be dissapointed. :)

TM1

Thanks!! I've known Jason a while! Nice guy who builds great stuff

rockabilly69

I got one of those new Epiphone Crestwood Customs! Absolutely a wonderful guitar and I'm pretty impressed. However I'd like to get a great set of mini's to replace the Asian made ones in the guitar.
Who do you all recommend?
Thanks!

How about a review of the guitar? Finish, neck shape, fretwork, electronic components, etc. What impresses you about it? What's not so impressive?

TM1

How about a review of the guitar? Finish, neck shape, fretwork, electronic components, etc. What impresses you about it? What's not so impressive?

The guitar is Top Notch! One piece neck(No stupid scarf joint at the headstock), one piece body, great sustain and plays great. the pickups actually sound pretty good, but I just would like a bit more clarity and no wax potting. The fret work is really good! Neck shape is a rounded "C" shape and the fingerboard has been rolled. Mine weighs about 6 lbs. Tusq nut. I did replace the bridge with an ABM Bell Brass and used a set of the Faber posts that are 6/32" like a regular ABR-1. CTS pots. I did replace the caps on the tone pots with PIO types and wired the controls "`50's style". I'm really happy with it and I'm not a guy who's use to playing "import" guitars...Mine are all either Custom Shjop or Vintage..

J.D.

I had an original years ago but with the "batwing" headstock. The quality was very good and it was incredibly lightweight even with the trem, but there were two things I didn't particularly like. It had a very small neck profile with small frets, and it was very bright sounding. Good played clean but I didn't particularly like the overdriven tone.

TM1

JD; This has an 1 11/16" nut, medium frets. Yours was probably during the 1 9/16" nut width era(1966-1970). The frets are .090w x .030h

Fish Fingers

I have a set of Creamery Mini's in my Deluxe; very pleased with them.
Not sure if they are the minis in your guitar though.
If it's any help, modern wiring made them come alive like you wouldn't believe.

metropolis

CTS pots. I did replace the caps on the tone pots with PIO types and wired the controls "`50's style"

Are they 500k pots? I couldn't see spec on the Epiphone website.

I have Creamery mini-HBs like like the above poster as they're a small UK winder. They are very bright and articulate, I have them wound to vintage specs and have 50s wiring and 500k pots.

TM1

George(?) this you? The Epi has 500K pots wired in modern style. I put a pair of PIO caps in mine and wired it up `50's style. The pickups don't sound horrible, but they are a bit muffy/not really clear like a good mini, but they're not horrible either. I do have a set coming of original early `70's mini's.

Triplet

TM1;2874511do have a set coming of original early `70's mini's.[/QUOTE said:
These are awesome. I have a pair from a 74 SG that are stellar in a 2002 FB. Great woody tone.

metropolis

George(?) this you? The Epi has 500K pots wired in modern style. I put a pair of PIO caps in mine and wired it up `50's style. The pickups don't sound horrible, but they are a bit muffy/not really clear like a good mini, but they're not horrible either. I do have a set coming of original early `70's mini's.

If you meant me, I'm George! That's interesting and definitely points to the pickups then. My bridge one especially is borderline 'ice pick to the forehead' with everything on 10. The neck is nice and articulate, especially compared to full sized HBs. Let us know how the original 70s ones sound by comparison!

Reactions: TM1

TM1

If you meant me, I'm George! That's interesting and definitely points to the pickups then. My bridge one especially is borderline 'ice pick to the forehead' with everything on 10. The neck is nice and articulate, especially compared to full sized HBs. Let us know how the original 70s ones sound by comparison!
Thanks my friend! It is I, Don Butler!

metropolis

Sorry, I actually meant to type I'm not George. Damn fingers, only good for playing guitar :ROFLMAO: