• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is this really a 1958 DC JR?

VanillaGorilla

Cheers

So i was offered this:

The seller claims that it is a 1958 JR that was refinished. What do you guys think? Legit?

fakejake

Just compare it to the may pictures of late 50ies LP Jrs you find on Google.
It can be a fun game to try and spot as many differences as possible.... :salude

VanillaGorilla

Just compare it to the may pictures of late 50ies LP Jrs you find on Google.
It can be a fun game to try and spot as many differences as possible.... :salude

of course it is refinished and all original parts missing, i am aware of that.
just wanted to know if it is old wood or not, want it as a project

fakejake

Again, why not compare it to all the readily available pictures of vintage LP Jrs?
Check the position of the knobs, the placement of the rear control cavity, the shape of the neck heel, etc..

Nick-O

It is not even remotely a Gibson product. It is probably a kit or an import that has been refinished and relic'd. If it is super cheap and you like it, then make it your project. If you are after the real thing, that is not it so I would NOT recommend buying it. Especially if the seller is blowing smoke up your skirt about what it is....liars are liars.

marshall1987

so you asked the question: ...."Is this really a 1958 DC JR?"

Not even close! :dang

Everything about this guitar screams poor copy. Take a look at the headstock logo....it don't say GIBSON! :teeth

Even if it did have a GIBSON logo on the headstock, there are several glaring and substantial differences that distinguish it from a real vintage Gibson 1958 DC- LP Junior (actually Les Paul TV model).

1. Tailpiece studs are not installed at an angle, not slanted like a vintage '58 LP JR. So an intonated, "lighting" bar, wrap-over tailpiece is substituted.

2. Neck heel shape is wrong.

3. Headstock shape wrong.

4. Body shape is wrong.

JIMI55LP

It is NOT a 1958 Gibson Les Paul TV Model or Junior "in any world". If it is priced like a made in japan knock off, then I believe it could be fun to play with?