• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Opinions on Original Collection Series

Quilttop

Hey guys,

Am tempted to pull my trigger on a TV yellow LP special. However, having not owned a single SG my own life, I was wondering if I should consider the Pelham blue SG Special or the SG Junior from the Series.

I had LP juniors before in both single cut and double-cut format. Sold them cos the Custom Shop version has neck that is too huge for my style.

Owners of the following. Will love to hear your opinions and why you chose one over the rest:

Gibson Original Collection - TV yellow Les Paul Special
Gibson Original Collection - Pelham blue SG special
Gibson Original Collection - SG Junior
Gibson Original Collection - SG with Mastero whammy

Thanks!

Cliff Gress

The SGs have the slim taper neck. My 2020 OC Special has a neck similar to my R7 and 63 Melody Maker. Feels good in my hand.

Quilttop

I've placed an order for a TV special since it's one I've wanted since teenager let's see when it arrives. Hoping for good weight and darker fretboard.

bluesforstevie

I've placed an order for a TV special since it's one I've wanted since teenager let's see when it arrives. Hoping for good weight and darker fretboard.

You weren't able to choose weight or which guitar? Where from? Anyway. Yeah I hope you get a great one!!:salude

Quilttop

50667587342_8357a29d6e_b.jpg

50667507791_3a587cddcf_b.jpg

Just collected mine! Made in aug 2020. Wishing the fretboard is darker but I'm impressed with the workmanship!

Cliff Gress

Put some oil on that board Quilttop. Mine darkened up quite a bit. I use Fret Doctor.

Quilttop

Put some oil on that board Quilttop. Mine darkened up quite a bit. I use Fret Doctor.

I've actually used Nomad on it before string change. It did darken a little bit. No local dealer for Fret Doctor here. Will explore.

bluesforstevie

I've actually used Nomad on it before string change. It did darken a little bit. No local dealer for Fret Doctor here. Will explore.

Killer!!! Board doesn't look dry. Its as dark as it should be. IMO. Very nice!! :salude:salude:salude

Quilttop

Just swapped out the Gibson pickups for Lollar 50s wind. Gotta say the stock pickups are pretty awesome but the Lollar adds a bit more clarity, especially the neck. Less mid-range. Very nice! I did have the output jack failed on me though! some un-branded hardware and I've replaced it with switchcraft now. The jack plate as usual is pretty fragile and has already started to crack on two of the screw holes.

Sombrero top

Just swapped out the Gibson pickups for Lollar 50s wind. Gotta say the stock pickups are pretty awesome but the Lollar adds a bit more clarity, especially the neck. Less mid-range. Very nice! I did have the output jack failed on me though! some un-branded hardware and I've replaced it with switchcraft now. The jack plate as usual is pretty fragile and has already started to crack on two of the screw holes.
I also swapped the neck pickup for Lollar 50's, it's great. Original bridge pickup sounds fine.

El Gringo

maplebaby

Hey guys,

Am tempted to pull my trigger on a TV yellow LP special. However, having not owned a single SG my own life, I was wondering if I should consider the Pelham blue SG Special or the SG Junior from the Series.

I had LP juniors before in both single cut and double-cut format. Sold them cos the Custom Shop version has neck that is too huge for my style.

Owners of the following. Will love to hear your opinions and why you chose one over the rest:

Gibson Original Collection - TV yellow Les Paul Special
Gibson Original Collection - Pelham blue SG special
Gibson Original Collection - SG Junior
Gibson Original Collection - SG with Mastero whammy

Thanks!