• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

whats this weird color on the neck?

Brek

have a look, see what you make of it.

IMG_3943.jpgIMG_3944.jpg

Last edited:

fakejake

Could you be more specific? I don't see anything unusual...

Brek

Well that is my opinion also, didn’t want to sway the replies with confirmation bias. It was present as two things: that the guitar was counterfeit and the lacquer had been sprayed wrongly and the base layer was lifting. So just asking for a third and fourth opinion. Before deciding what to do.

Last edited:

MeHereNow

Looks like it's the flat grain of the mahogany when it's sawn.
Maybe flat grain does'nt take the colour of the filler as well.

Brek

Looks like it's the flat grain of the mahogany when it's sawn.
Maybe flat grain does'nt take the colour of the filler as well.
That actually explains it for me, thankyou, I could see it was a transition but couldn’t quite work out from what to what. Flat grain to end grain explains the entire look. It’s as smooth as any other part so no issues then, cool.

Tim Plains

It's just the wood. May not be desirable to the really anal retental or OCD crowd but there is nothing wrong there.

El Gringo

It's just the wood. May not be desirable to the really anal retental or OCD crowd but there is nothing wrong there.
It's funny to me as from time to time i see this pop up on threads and i strain my eyes to look for the imperfection and i can't see it - no disrespect . I just am so used to looking for the obvious flaws and stuff our eyes are trained to see from so long ago in a distant and far away galaxy .

Brek

I didn’t see nothing at all wrong either, but wanted to check I was correct in my opinion of the guitar as someone cast aspersions about its finish. Thankyou all for chiming in.