• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I installed a Germanium Boost into my Zemaitis (Dallas Rangemaster Style)

rockabilly69

I always wanted a Zemaitis with a Germanium Boost circuit in it (ie Rangemaster). I was selling one of my Zemaitis reissues, and no one was buying, so decided let it be the test pilot. Zemaitis guitars with these boosts were used by most of the players using original Zemaitis guitars, such as Ron Wood, James Honeymoon Scott, Marc Bolan, etc! Plus I am extremely fond of the PTB tone circuit in G&L Legacy guitars. And I had just chanced upon an article by killer guitarist Joe Gore, who said these two circuits work great together. So that was it, it was time to do some modding!

Well fortunately for me, I already had a small Rangemaster circuit that I bought on ebay from a guy in Italy. So all I had to do is figure out how to wire it in tandem with the PTB circuit. I found a good schematic for the PTB circuit on Premiere Guitars website, so I ordered the parts I needed, and they were here in 2 days!!!

So last night I started the project, but before I could wire it up, I had to totally disassemble the guitar, aluminum top plate and all, because I was going to do the soldering of the PTB right on the plate, and I had to hog some Mahogany out of the control area for the Rangemaster circuit board so out came the drill, the fostner bits, the Dremel, and wood shavings and sawdust started to fly. In no time there was a hole big enough to drop in the circuit board. That was enough for last night, because I wanted to solder in the light of the day.

So today comes and out comes the soldering stuff. But then I see that the shaft of the gain pot for the Rangemaster circuit is too long for the knob. I used my Dremel tool to shave about an 1/8" off of the shaft and a file to clean up the end. Then I noticed the shafts of all the pots were 1/4," not the typical 6 mm that I normally use. So I had to drill out the knobs. I did it with a hand drill and a vise-grip.

Okay I finally finished up all of the metal work that I never planned on, so I heated up the soldering iron, and wired up the PTB circuit, along with a 2 way switch, and gain pot for the Rangemaster. Then I mounted and wired up the Rangemaster. All I had to do was to install the pickups, and the three way switch, and I would be pluggin' in, and blasting the opening lick to The Faces "Stay With Me" loud enough to be heard in the next township. I got that stuff done in no time!

Well on to the jamming! So I plug my Z into the Clark 5E3 that was waiting in the bedroom for some action. And damn, the only thing coming out of the speaker is a Mexican radio station, and that's only when I kick the boost on. No guitar sounds whatsoever. Needless to say, I had to un-solder the circuit board to test just the PTB circuit. I found two things, first I had wired the pickup leads wrong, and second the treble cut was working in reverse. The second part was not of my doing, but was the fault of the guy who wrote the schematic. Dickhead! Okay, I rewired in the circuit board, and slap it back together. Now I am ready to kick out the jams that my neighbors deserve! I plug that bringer of holy noise in, and damn, nothing but a big fat hum! An hour later I find a mistake in the schematic for the Rangemaster. There was no mention of how to properly wire the ground side of TRS jack, but I figured it out, and finally got it all together. And yes, it nails the "Stay With Me" tone!

Nice Mahogany
iEcVikY.jpg

Hoggin' It Out
ZfQKrf8.jpg

Pot Trouble
vfZ7fHr.jpg

Drillin' The Knobs
kklRqOF.jpg

Pots And Switch Installed
JAykS2Z.jpg

Wiring The Plate.
DDcVF6e.jpg

Gettin' There
GOdJ04E.jpg

In Goes The Rangemaster
I5AzISw.jpg

Electronics Buttoned Up
jQYVkOe.jpg

Time To Jam.jpg
DJwXTG8.jpg

GreenBurst

Cool project. You were lucky that the control cavity cover is way larger than the cavity itself.

Interesting construction. On 1st gen Zemaitis the pots are mounted to the mohogany. The cavity is like on an LP and the cover is sized for the actual cavity.

rockabilly69

Cool project. You were lucky that the control cavity cover is way larger than the cavity itself.

Interesting construction. On 1st gen Zemaitis the pots are mounted to the mahogany. The cavity is like on an LP and the cover is sized for the actual cavity.

I was lucky!!! As for the control cavities on Gen I and II models they vary from model to model and on some Gen I models there's plenty of wood behind the control plate. It all depends on the model. You should see how much room is behind the control plate of my Gen I disctop :) On my Gen II 22 fretters, the production model and the custom shop model there isn't any extra room under the control plate so I would have just routed under the top plate, which would have been even cleaner looking. Once the circuit is mounted, all you really need to have access to is the little switch that changes the input impedance of the circuit, so I would have just positioned that side of the circuit board to face the control cavity. I prefer mounting pots directly to the plate as it works better with the Zemaitis shielding/grounding system, which is actually pretty cool!

Because I generally gut the production models when I buy them, and use my favorite parts, I generally like the Antanus series Gen II models over the Greco Zemaitis models. I think the recent batches of African Mahogany have been great for both figure and weight! Check out the wood that was under the top of mine! I do like the ebony fingerboard, and the aluminum back plates on my Greco Zemaitis models, but I really don't like the finish on them, it feels like hard plastic. I love the uber thin open pore stuff on the Gen IIs. And I also think they do the acid engraving on the Antanus models much better. I also prefer the 16:1 Gotoh ratio tuners over the 12:1 ratio Schaller tuners on the Greco/Zemaitis, although I changed all of tuners on my Z guitars (except the custom shop) to Gotoh 21:1.

That said, I think the newer MFG series are better built than both the Gen I and Gen II models, and they are reasonably priced, and are currently on a 20% off Black Friday sale, making them cheaper than the Gen I, but more expensive than the Antanus. And they are built in the custom shop in Gifu not the Greco production line! Nitro Finish, ebony fretboard, Gotoh 18:1 locking tuners, medium jumbo frets, all CTS and switchcraft electronics.

This is the open finish that I like on the Gen IIs, it feels killer on the back of the neck...

PqmErhI.jpg

21:1 Gotoh tuners...

2F9DvKC.jpg

Last edited:

Nick-O

I recognize that guitar!! lol

That was bold and way hang in there. If you post some clips of that Wood intro, please leave a link!!!

So cool...