• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How to buy your very first LP

Mudkicker

I have decided after 30 years of drooling to finally drop the cash and buy my very first Les Paul. It's a bucket list item for me. I know that I want a Iced Tea Burst. I know that I want a Standard or Traditional, I don't know the difference. I know I want a dark as possible fretboard, ideally ebony or a dark rosewood. Should I buy new or used? Chambered or not? If used then what years should I be looking for?
Would love some guidance of where to start. Budget is $2500 Canadian dollars.

bern1

Go play a few, that will get you pointed in the right direction.

metropolis

Agree with the above comment. There's so much variation in neck shape, body weight and how that all feels that it's worth taking some time to find what suits you best. Even pickups have variations and although most people associate LPs to humbuckers I adore mine with P90s and even the mini humbuckers so go and play as many as you can!

I bought my first Les Paul blind and in hindsight there's things I'm not happy about but I only realised that when I put my hands on several others. Same with strats to be fair.

I would also say don't be afraid to go second hand. All but one of my LPs are second hand and you get a deal but also prices are consistently strong so if you buy one you don't get on with then you've got a good chance of getting your money back.