• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Killer 50's staple loaded Custom...

GastonG

at 1:52 wonderfull tone, killer tone indeed ! and tasty playing !

Thanks rockabilly69

:salude

El Gringo

Wow the most incredible Stones cover i have ever heard in my life , i was lucky to see them perform live in June of 1980 supporting the boys from Degiulio -ZZ Top with Humble Pie opening and playing a most killer set . This was a blast seeing and brought back so many wonderful memories from that most memorable night over 40 years ago . Thank You Kindly for posting :jim

goldtop0

That's a great rendition..........thanks for posting rockabilly.

How does one of those staple neck pups compare in sound to a P90? I've never played one.

rockabilly69

How does one of those staple neck pups compare in sound to a P90? I've never played one.
I couldn't tell you. I've never had a staple in one of my guitars!

dnabbet2

Staple sounds brighter and louder. Less mid-range-focused than a P90. I have a couple of Customs right now and I use the staple or the two pickups together most of the time.

The embedded clips here don't play for me but the history looks accurate: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21134-cult-coils-lesser-known-vintage-pickups?page=4.

Seymour Duncan makes a repro:

Greg Koch on a Wildwood spec '54-style Custom:

agogetr

a real nice deep tone, great for bending blusey notes high on the neck. some of the old big jazz guitars like L5 etc can be just as good with a regular p90 in the neck slot

Progrocker111

Yeah, Clem Clemson is great and very underrated guitarist. His playing on Colosseum Live 1971 is great.

cjp54

Great video! Is Steve playing a Les Paul Junior with an Epiphone pickguard on it?

marshall1987

Good stuff....saw Humble Pie in 1971 at the Alexandria Roller Rink. Much prefer Peter Frampton in the lineup.