• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

This top is not bookmatched talk about authentic...

TommyQ

I've seen pictures in various '59 Lester books of guitars with mismatched tops. I don't think I have personally seen a reissue with that . Has anyone here? Might be common as toads but this is all new to me. And I like it. Hang on a sec, I can't make the photo larger. Anyone know how I can do that? If you click on the photo it will enlarge. Anyhow... interesting top.

sj burst.jpg

Attachments

• SJ59L.jpg
    SJ59L.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 148

NYCBURST

I've seen pictures in various '59 Lester books of guitars with mismatched tops. I don't think I have personally seen a reissue with that . Has anyone here? Might be common as toads but this is all new to me. And I like it. Hang on a sec, I can't make the photo larger. Anyone know how I can do that? If you click on the photo it will enlarge. Anyhow... interesting top.

View attachment 12224

that is bookmatched

Tim Plains

Nice top. That is bookmatched.
I think you're more likely to find non-bookmatched tops on flame top R8s because R9 buyers expect symmetry.
Flame top R8s have looked more authentic to me than R9s tops in the past decade. Generally speaking.

TommyQ

Nice top. That is bookmatched.
I think you're more likely to find non-bookmatched tops on flame top R8s because R9 buyers expect symmetry.
Flame top R8s have looked more authentic to me than R9s tops in the past decade. Generally speaking.

Again, if you look at the flatsawn grain behind the flame, you will see they are totally different. I have the guitar in front of me and can see it is most definitely not bookmatched.

goldtop0

Again, if you look at the flatsawn grain behind the flame, you will see they are totally different. I have the guitar in front of me and can see it is most definitely not bookmatched.

You may be splitting hairs Tommy:hmm

TommyQ

You may be splitting hairs Tommy:hmm

Believe me, I don't mean to. But this is a slip top, something Gibson did in '59. I've seen such guitars. Gibson has a nice piece of flamed wood but it is too narrow to make a book match. So they cut the board in half and put the pieces side by side. You can identify these tops by looking at the grain BEHIND the flame. In my guitar, the back grain is nothing like each other. From the first edition of "The Beauty of the Burst:"

Lester slip top.jpg

Last edited:

goldtop0

Believe me, I don't mean to. But this is a slip top, something Gibson did in '59. I've seen such guitars. Gibson has a nice piece of flamed wood but it is too narrow to make a book match. So they cut the board in half and put the pieces side by side. You can identify these tops by looking at the grain BEHIND the flame. In my guitar, the back grain is nothing like each other. From the first edition of "Th4e Beauty of the Burst:"

View attachment 12227

Yes well I do agree with you...........it's impossible not to miss..........but what a good mismatch it is:salude