• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Concerning the pickups in a CC #6

Maxmc

A simple question: are the pickups in a Collector's Choice #6 circa 2012 wax potted? I believe they are Custombuckers.

LeonC

I don't know for sure, but I think most Custombuckers in CCs are "lightly potted." It'll be interesting to see if any owners have actually gotten "into" the pickups to figure this out. On the #6 model, the speced pickups are a bit unusual...apparently the bridge pickup coils are wired in parallel.

Maxmc

I don't know for sure, but I think most Custombuckers in CCs are "lightly potted." It'll be interesting to see if any owners have actually gotten "into" the pickups to figure this out. On the #6 model, the speced pickups are a bit unusual...apparently the bridge pickup coils are wired in parallel.
Wired in parallel ???!!! Now that's thrown the cat amongst the pigeons! I must check the resistance of this pickup. If this is true and my Ohm's Law is correct then the resistance value should read approx half the value of a "normal" PAF style humbucker, around say 3.6K ohms.

Maxmc

Neck: 8K ohms
Bridge: 7.8K ohms
These look like normal values to me. I wonder what this "Parrellel-Machine Wound" means.

rick c

If Gibsons did what they said they did in the manufacture of late 50's copies then your pickups should not be potted.

Mad Nobby

If Gibsons did what they said they did in the manufacture of late 50's copies then your pickups should not be potted.

Correct! But most of the Gibson humbuckers I took the covers off have been potted.

duaneflowers

I'm not sure what parallel machine wound refers to... perhaps they are just wound at the same time right next to each other on the machine to limit the offset. If they were truly wound in parallel, as opposed to the usual series winding, the output would be closer to 2kΩ and sound very hollow and thin. :salude