• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Multiple guitar live rig setup

Dreadnaught

How are people using more than one guitar during live setups? In particular, a LP and a Strat. When I dial in my LP for volume, then switch to my Strat, the Starat is WAY louder. I have some pretty hot pickups in it. It changes the whole volume on all three channels of my amp, clean, rhythm, lead. I run a wireless system into amp. Don’t want to be having to redial everything in between songs.

metropolis

I think it depends on whether you want the inputs to be the same level (so you're driving the amp consistently) or just the output volume and you accept the amp might be pushed harder by the strat.

In both cases the simple solution could be a volume pedal - either before the amp or in the effects loop (fingers crossed you have one!). Other options could be an EQ pedal where you use the gain to control the volume, or a clean boost pedal.

If I had your situation today on any of my amps I'd put my Boss Graphic EQ in front of the amp or in the loop and set the gain adjustment with that.

What amp and pedals are you using?

Dreadnaught

I’m running a Friedman BE 100 deluxe, the three channels give me my clean, crunch and lead. Running modulation thru FX loop. I’m trying to get away from a volume pedal because of exact levels. Me being me, I want to crank it, and that pisses the sound engineer off, so, getting the same level from a pedal from my point of view.....just wish everyone loved my guitar as much as I do😆

Aceman

The easy answer there is an EQ in the loop.

You need to set the volume AND the EQ to be happy for both guitars....LP ≠ Strat for either of those things.

Put the EQ in the loop last in line, and when you move to the Strat, adjust as needed to get it the same volume (no more gain) and adjust eq in bass/mid/treble regions to compensate for it not being a Les Paul.

You could use a compressor to do the same thing with less EQ ability

You could use a compressor up front to keep the Les Paul as quiet as the Strat.

You could use an EQ up front as well....