• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gold tops turning green

Big Daddy Class

Am I the only one who prefers (loves?) it when the gold tops turn partially green? Many, many seem totally turned off by it. I LOVE it. Especially when it is only green in the really worn areas. Show me some photos if you have them of Gold tops turning green.

somebodyelseuk

Guess I am the only one!
Not at all.
I remember Gibson, and others, doing GT reissues that had a green tint to them, and while it may or may not be vintage accurate, it's a shade I really like, more than the yellow and brown shades.
What I'm not keen on is where the old guitars start to look like crocodile skin.

rockabilly69

Not at all.
I remember Gibson, and others, doing GT reissues that had a green tint to them, and while it may or may not be vintage accurate, it's a shade I really like, more than the yellow and brown shades.
What I'm not keen on is where the old guitars start to look like crocodile skin.

My reissues have that green tint...

KwgZNql.jpg

RvUstUQ.jpg

C-4

If it's a natural occurrence for gold tops to turn green, then let it happen, live with it, and enjoy it.

If you do not care for it, then sell the guitar. Really what other choices do you have, but to re-finish it, which I am not really for, unless you are doing a complete Makeover refin, and then only in specific circumstances.

But, I don't own GT's, so my opinion means absolutely nothing.

Carry on, gentlemen and ladies. :dude:

glenngross

I have a 2013 reissue with a greenish tint that I like, while my ‘53 gold top isn’t green at all. Go figure.

Señor Verde

I bought a gold top because I like the gold color. if I live long enough the finish starts to turn green, I'll probably have the top re-done.

WP Blues

The first time I saw a green goldtop was when REO Speedwagon played an outdoor gig in Fort Wayne, Indiana in 1974. He had a '57 that had a LOT of green where his right arm rested on the guitar. Didn't know what caused it at the time. Only time I saw him NOT playing a burst.

rialcnis

My '52 Les Paul, which I bought in late'66 or 67, was light greenish tinge all over.--very uniform-- Wish I hadn't sanded that green down

I wonder if Luthiers can age a new gold-top refinish back to that greenish.

Last edited: