• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anyone Here Own a Heritage H-535?? Thoughts??

Major Fuzz

About every other year I decide that I want a semi hollow ES style guitar. I've owned a Gibson 63 Reissue ES-335 VOS and a 64 RI ES-345TD VOS at different times, and ended up selling them. I sold the 335 to buy an amp, which I'm glad I have, but wish I hadn't had to sell the 335. The 345 just never felt right to me, it was nowhere near as resonant as the 335 I had owned and just always felt "stiff" to me. The 335 felt like an extension of my body, it was a part of me and sounded like heaven, the 345 just never meshed with me.

Now I'm back to wanting a 335. I've got a Les Paul, partscaster tele/Les Paul Special hybrid (mahogany tele body, gibson P90's, maple bolt on neck, 50's les paul special wiring), and a Strat style guitar, so I decided my next guitar either needed to be a Tele or a 335 style guitar, and I decided on the 335.

But, I kinda wanna try something new as far as brand. I've owned close to 10 Gibson's, and I've gotten somewhat "bored" I guess of ONLY having Gibson's most of the time. So I've been looking at Heritage guitars, and from what I've read/heard they seem pretty great! I'm not opposed to owning another Gibson, if for some reason the Gibson is drastically better than the Heritage, I'd go with a real 335. But I really like how "authentic" the Heritage H535 seems to be! Obviously the headstock is quite a bit different which may irk some hardcore purists, but it doesn't bother me at all. But they seem to be much closer to the original Gibson 335's from the 50's and 60's. Which is kind of their whole goal. Plus, they're a little less expensive than a Gibby 335.

Anyone here own one? How do you like it? What are your favorite things about it? What don't you like about it? How does it REALLY compare to a Gibson 335?

Dave P

I tried out a new 535 not long ago. It was a very nice guitar, but that particular one was somewhat heavy in weight for a 335 style guitar. Heritage has upped their game since Edwin Wilson (ex-Gibson CS) joined them.

Don

I replaced my ES-335 with a new H-535 a few months ago. My ES-335 was a good guitar but was a little heavy, a little stiff feeling and very focused sounding. The Heritage weighs over a pound less (it weighs 7 pounds 8 ounces) and sounds much warmer and woodier whether it's plugged in or not- like I'd expect an older ES-335 to sound. The top on the H-535 is noticeably thinner than the ES-335. I prefer the Seth Lovers in the H-535 over the Burstbuckers that my ES-335 had.

Overall, my H-535 is nicer than my ES-335 was, but small details make the H-535 feel like a slightly cheaper instrument than the ES-335- the square fretboard edges, the knobs, cheaper case... Plus, the H-535 is slightly oddly shaped- it has funny ears. No deal breakers. I don't mind the headstock.

Overall, I prefer the H-535 and sold my ES-335 for about what I paid for the new H-535 with no regrets. I'm not saying that an H-535 is better than an ES-335, I'm saying that my H-535 is better than the ES-335 that I sold.

50187012652_85329b20d3_b.jpg

Reactions: UFO

rockabilly69

I replaced my ES-335 with a new H-535 a few months ago. My ES-335 was a good guitar but was a little heavy, a little stiff feeling and very focused sounding. The Heritage weighs over a pound less (it weighs 7 pounds 8 ounces) and sounds much warmer and woodier whether it's plugged in or not- like I'd expect an older ES-335 to sound. The top on the H-535 is noticeably thinner than the ES-335. I prefer the Seth Lovers in the H-535 over the Burstbuckers that my ES-335 had.

Overall, my H-535 is nicer than my ES-335 was, but small details make the H-535 feel like a slightly cheaper instrument than the ES-335- the square fretboard edges, the knobs, cheaper case... Plus, the H-535 is slightly oddly shaped- it has funny ears. No deal breakers. I don't mind the headstock.

Overall, I prefer the H-535 and sold my ES-335 for about what I paid for the new H-535 with no regrets. I'm not saying that an H-535 is better than an ES-335, I'm saying that my H-535 is better than the ES-335 that I sold.

50187012652_85329b20d3_b.jpg

Nice guitar Don! I own two H150 Heritage guitars that have bested many Gibsons, and yet I own more Gibson guitars than any other brand, so I appreciated the last sentence of your review as I believe both companies make nice guitars you just have to find the ones that fit your style and what you want to hear.
Here's my H150s. I didn't like the stock Seth Lovers or Nashville bridges, or heavy tailpieces, on the H150s so I changed them out

GOKyQUY.jpg

ec0T9RY.jpg

Don

Nice guitar Don! I own two H150 Heritage guitars that have bested many Gibsons, and yet I own more Gibson guitars than any other brand, so I appreciated the last sentence of your review as I believe both companies make nice guitars you just have to find the ones that fit your style and what you want to hear.
Here's my H150s. I didn't like the stock Seth Lovers or Nashville bridges, or heavy tailpieces, on the H150s so I changed them out

GOKyQUY.jpg

ec0T9RY.jpg

I want an H-150!

rockabilly69

I want an H-150!
There are plenty out there on the used market selling for decent money. Just watch out for the weight, some of the older ones are pretty heavy. On each of mine I dialed them in with a fret dress, and a proper setup soon as I replaced the hardware, but the new ones are leaving the factory dialed in with the small quality niggles of the past addressed. And if you really want to spend some money the new CORE line of H150s (headed up by Edwin Wilson of Gibson Custom Shop fame) looks fantastic...

https://americansongwriter.com/heri...m-core-collection-with-their-new-h-150-model/

Amp360

I have a 535. I was looking for an ES-335 when I bought it.

My friend has a ‘59 335 that I have lusted off for years. I was looking for a guitar to travel with so something like that was out of the question.

I played a bunch of new and used Gibson models. Eventually I settled on a Historic model, which was awesome. Just for fun I played my (used) 535. The Heritage was $1100 and imho was better than any of the Gibson models I played (sans Historic) and although different from the Historic it was a lot cheaper.

I couldn’t figure out which I liked better but went with the Heritage. The Historic was awesome and if they were the same price I would have bought it for the name but the Heritage doesn’t leave me wishing I had the Gibson.

as far as the non-Historic models the 535 all day. Plus mine has a lot of figuring if that’s what you’re into. The only thing is I spent a long time adjusting the pickups. At first I was going to change them but after fiddling with them I really, really love them now.

sgt1577

! My brother lives near Kalamazoo and met Ren Wall at the Heritage plant and helped him pick it out! On the sticker inside the f hole is the signature of everyone who was there!

It is in my opinion the finest 535 to come out of Kalamazoo!

If there’s a way to post a pic without it being on one of those hosting sites I’d be happy to prove it! :)

IMG_2027_zps23chm1qp.jpg

Got an old one to work!

927623e3-c0f5-4b26-a584-0330e60c70a7

Last edited:

Gitfiddler

I can only speak for the Heritage H535, since I've never owned an ES335, but I absolutely love my Heritage. It was a custom order that included a chunky neck, Goldtop, Ebony fretboard and SD Phat Cats. I dumped the Phat Cats and swapped in a set of Seths.

Two features got me interested in the 535...the rim-mounted input jack and the solid wood sides. Gibson's rims are laminate. Not sure if there's a huge difference sonically, but mine rings like a bell acoustically. Choosing between a 335 or 535 ultimately comes down to the player, so try to play a few of each if you can.

zFBb71.jpg

pdpmail

About every other year I decide that I want a semi hollow ES style guitar. I've owned a Gibson 63 Reissue ES-335 VOS and a 64 RI ES-345TD VOS at different times, and ended up selling them. I sold the 335 to buy an amp, which I'm glad I have, but wish I hadn't had to sell the 335. The 345 just never felt right to me, it was nowhere near as resonant as the 335 I had owned and just always felt "stiff" to me. The 335 felt like an extension of my body, it was a part of me and sounded like heaven, the 345 just never meshed with me.

Now I'm back to wanting a 335. I've got a Les Paul, partscaster tele/Les Paul Special hybrid (mahogany tele body, gibson P90's, maple bolt on neck, 50's les paul special wiring), and a Strat style guitar, so I decided my next guitar either needed to be a Tele or a 335 style guitar, and I decided on the 335.

But, I kinda wanna try something new as far as brand. I've owned close to 10 Gibson's, and I've gotten somewhat "bored" I guess of ONLY having Gibson's most of the time. So I've been looking at Heritage guitars, and from what I've read/heard they seem pretty great! I'm not opposed to owning another Gibson, if for some reason the Gibson is drastically better than the Heritage, I'd go with a real 335. But I really like how "authentic" the Heritage H535 seems to be! Obviously the headstock is quite a bit different which may irk some hardcore purists, but it doesn't bother me at all. But they seem to be much closer to the original Gibson 335's from the 50's and 60's. Which is kind of their whole goal. Plus, they're a little less expensive than a Gibby 335.

Anyone here own one? How do you like it? What are your favorite things about it? What don't you like about it? How does it REALLY compare to a Gibson 335?
I have a Heritage H535 which I can confirm is excellent.I also have a custom R58 Gibby les Paul and these two guitars are of same level quality. Think of Heritage being custom level Gibson. For jazz I run my Heritage through a fender Princeton 65 reissue with an Eminence Lil buddy speaker upgrade and it sounds eargasmic.

Last edited:

motoputz

I dig all my Heritage guitars, especially my H535 - it's chunky, resonate and light weight. My H150 is a brick shite house at 9lb something oz., but that neck! oh, it's the best!
I put non-potted Ornamac Windery p.u's in both and now they're both sublime. I play the H535 everyday, the H150 every other day or so