• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best approach to clean vintage golden Pick Ups with green grime?

fernieite

I'd just use a slightly damp cotton rag, and dry it off with another (dry) cotton rag.

If that doesn't work, try the same procedure with a bit of dish soap. (Swishing the damp rag with a drop of dish soap in a bit of water in the sink, and wring out)

If that doesn't work, maybe a tiny bit of naphtha on a dry rag?...

El Gringo

Maybe some Dawn and a soft cloth and be gentle as it wont take much elbow grease to rub that gold right off . I am concerned that any type of liquid would tarnish and remove the gold plating . I would not use Naptha as that stuff is wicked strong .

somebodyelseuk

Maybe some Dawn and a soft cloth and be gentle as it wont take much elbow grease to rub that gold right off . I am concerned that any type of liquid would tarnish and remove the gold plating . I would not use Naptha as that stuff is wicked strong .
Liquids are fine on gold. It doesn't tarnish and the only things it dissolves in will kill you before you'd finished cleaning the crap off.
Abrasives, essentially polishes are a no-no. Gold is relatively soft and wears off easily.