• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help to identify a 81 red Gibson Les Paul with Dot inlays

Cainostrum

Hi guys,

I’ve been searching the entire night on market places, gibson catalogs, but I can’t identify this Les Paul model. The serial number says in has been made in Kalamazoo Plant, MI, USA, on October 4th, 1981, Production Number: 305

Quite clear but I don’t have a clue about the model.
It has dot inlays, and nothing but “Les Paul” on the head.

B060FCB2-68E1-4AD4-9218-DD2D8B48164F.jpgBE8D8475-9398-43FF-AC5A-EEEC4BA9211D.jpg

I really want to identify it so I can find the specs and in particular the pickups because the originals have been replaced on that one

Could you help me with that?

MeHereNow

That is an early 90's lp special with routing work done to it.
These models had p90's stock.
The "Gibson" headstock inlay is the 'newer' type starting from late 91.

Cainostrum

That is an early 90's lp special with routing work done to it.
These models had p90's stock.
The "Gibson" headstock inlay is the 'newer' type starting from late 91.

The head does not show any work, it looks mint, and the serial number says 81, how’s that possible?

MeHereNow

The head does not show any work, it looks mint, and the serial number says 81, how’s that possible?

By misreading the first digit is a possibility, intead of 82771305 it could be 92771305.

The only special model made in 81 by Gibson was the "55" model, but it didn't have the body 'lip' at the cutaway.

The 55 also had the Norlin "gibson" headstock inlay and a more pointy cutaway.

Check your pot odes and if possible a photo of the guitars serial number, from there we can establish a bit more. :salude

Cainostrum

By misreading the first digit is a possibility, intead of 82771305 it could be 92771305.

The only special model made in 81 by Gibson was the "55" model, but it didn't have the body 'lip' at the cutaway.

The 55 also had the Norlin "gibson" headstock inlay and a more pointy cutaway.

Check your pot odes and if possible a photo of the guitars serial number, from there we can establish a bit more. :salude

I only have a video and few pictures because I want to identify it before purchase!
Heres the serial
E367E007-632A-4471-BE42-3B9E2406CC74.jpg

And what do you think of this thread? [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?164184-1983-studio-standard&highlight=studio%20standard

A Studio Standard?!
[/FONT]

MeHereNow

I only have a video and few pictures because I want to identify it before purchase!
Heres the serial
View attachment 12212

And what do you think of this thread? [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?164184-1983-studio-standard&highlight=studio%20standard

A Studio Standard?!
[/FONT]

The guitar in question has no body binding and looks like a flat top (slab body) in the pictures.
Serial number indeed seems to start with "8" but features are 90's.
Strange indeed..

MeHereNow

Thanks, I should have it in hands next thursday. I bet it came with P90 but the seller found and show me the “original” pickup cream cover for humbucker(?!)

1 thing i noticed from the body picture is that the neck pickupring is cut to accomodate the neckhumbucker spacing.
Maybe, and only máybe, the routings of the p90 are intact and they modified the humbuckers' baseplates to fit in a p90 rout.
The humbuckers seem to be installed on the pickupscrews only.
The corner pickupringholes seem unused.