• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My ‘59 Tribute build

Swjake83

I’ve wanted a burst Les Paul for over 20 years now and finally got one. College, kids, house etc all seemed to keep taking my guitar fund. Crazy right!? Anyway after much research on the modern era LP’s and knowing an R9 is just out of reach for now, I decided to find a standard that was close and then build it out like an ‘59 was with parts and pickup swaps. I settled on an early 2000’s because the weight relief was minimal and seemed to have a good reputation for being well made.

Found me a clean ‘05 and got to work. Went with Wolfetone Dr. Vintage in the neck and his Marshalhead in the bridge. Went with switchcraft switch and jack, got Luxe bumblebees, new pots and wired it up 50’s style. (Not bad for my first time but ignore the solder not being the best). Then I put Faber ABR bridge and aluminum stopbar with steel studs. I also swapped the truss rod cover for a blank and added a pickguard to complete the look.

the top is interesting on this one, sort of a blend of a plain top with slight flame at the joint. Overall I love it. Opened it up tone wise and added sustain. Exactly what I was hoping for compared to the burstbucker pros and modern wiring. I don’t know what parts contribute more than another but the sum of the whole was exactly what I had in my head. I took a good guitar and made it a great one that far exceeds my own talent level.

Anyway, here she is for those interested in seeing it or if your still reading after my ramblings. Thanks all and to the info this forum provided along the way!
5635880B-56DF-4C7E-B8AE-95F3E25C8786.jpg8A7EB2AA-756F-409E-A860-1F8B5A10DCEE.jpg2EFEE596-BBF9-4A36-99A7-98FAB6FD82A3.jpg

Last edited:

metropolis

That's a great approach, but I'm biased because I pretty much did the same :spabout

I don't know about you but I found the wiring made a huge difference, along with the better components and pickups. All of a sudden there's a really bright useable neck pickup instead of mud.

On mine I did the same with wiring (although not quite the same pots and caps), added Monty's PAFs and also changed the switch tip and pickup rings to historic ones. Just cosmetic but I dig them!

El Gringo

Outstanding and mega congrats on a fine job done :applaude I love how you upgraded the pickups and harness which is a night and day improvement and also the bridge and tailpiece and the selector switch . Bravo !!!!!!! Beautiful guitar also !!!!!!!!!!!