• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Value of a vintage ´64 Firebird, modded and "heavy relic"

neuroy

Hello,

I look for some opinion of a Firebird 1 converted to FB 3 in heavy players grade condition.
Second PU added, fretboard markers installed for a special look by former Texan owner.
No repairs, breaks.

This Bird has been around many blocks many times...
I like it very much, and would be willing to offer a fair price.
What do think it could be worth ?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/324355621484

Thank you all.
Cheers

VamboRool

First, I would want to see better and more photos of the guitar (close ups, the back, bottom of the pickups, inside the back cavity, under the pick guard, etc). Second, the changes make it is impossible to put it back to being a FB I. Lastly, this guitar because of the changes will always be a "hard sell". I think you would be better off to wait and find a good condition, all original FB III and get that.

latestarter

It certainly isn’t worth what they’re asking. I like the finish and don’t mind the extra pick up but the price needs to be adjusted downwards by a good proportion as it is no longer a FB1...offer him half their price and work up to slightly higher.

VamboRool

When I looked at the Ebay ad earlier today, only the first three photos showed up. Now seeing the additional photos I've got a couple more thoughts. It is an early model with the two piece neck. It maybe possible that this is a FB III that didn't get a vibrato. I would want to check the rout for the neck p/u. All the FBs I've seen have a third strap button where they are near the neck like on on a Les Paul. With that much wear, you should play the guitar as the neck may feel like non-skid (don't know what the European word is for non-skid). Check that neck p/u to ensure it is a Gibson. Still think you would be better off with a nicer condition FB III.

latestarter

I have a '64 FB III, 190352, and it's like a massive vibrating monster. I purchased it routed for humbuckers, fixed it for mini's, then went back to humbuckers. It sounds so good it's ridiculous. It has the slimmer neck and I like the contrast from what I'd normally play.

Best wishes. Make sure those p/ups are original. You'll never be able to buy a second hand pair of originals.

edwina

Hello,

I look for some opinion of a Firebird 1 converted to FB 3 in heavy players grade condition.
Second PU added, fretboard markers installed for a special look by former Texan owner.
No repairs, breaks.

This Bird has been around many blocks many times...
I like it very much, and would be willing to offer a fair price.
What do think it could be worth ?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/324355621484

Thank you all.
Cheers

In my opinion, 3000 usd is the right price to pay for that guitar.

fakejake

I think the inlays are awful, they'd pretty much ruin it for me. Otherwise, cool guitar!
In the EU market, 4000 euro is probably a realistic price.

neuroy

There's one more picture added to the ad.
Shows the added neck PU.

What do you think about its age and so on...?

Please note the electrics cavity - do we see both PU wire being plastic coated ( the grey ones ) ?
Is that fine for ´64 ? No braided wires in this period ?
The covers of both PU´s look like chrome, rather than nickel.

I want to make sure both PU´s are vintage original.

The neck PU cave is a real hack job, so no chance it was aFB 3 ever .
Thanks

El Gringo

Shows the added neck PU.

Please note the electrics cavity - do we see both PU wire being plastic coated ( the grey ones ) ?

Thanks
Start at 15 and go no higher than 25

latestarter

Shows the added neck PU.

Thanks

hard to tell of any of the pots are original. The plastic wire is a concern. I’ve not seen any pups from this era with plastic coated wire? Anyone else?

those finger board markers could be removed and a new insert of well matched RW could be glued in.

VamboRool

No repairs, that big washer on the output jack says something is going on there.