• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What are these dents around the fret nibs?

Keefoman

The fretnibs don't seem to be there, so my guess would be that the guitar had a refret at some point. The dents would be toolmarks from filing the fret edges.

darkwave

Looks to me like some sloppy file work when dressing the ends of the frets/nibs. Could be aggressive scraping from when the binding was originally scraped as well (pretty extreme example).

-Douglas C.

Don

Looks to me like some sloppy file work when dressing the ends of the frets/nibs. Could be aggressive scraping from when the binding was originally scraped as well (pretty extreme example).

-Douglas C.

That's what I was thinking, except the part about it being an extreme example- I've seen much worse.

rick c

Odd picture. It does look from the absence of real nibs that the guitar has been refretted but it must have been a very long time ago as the frets in the picture look awful.

Keefoman

Odd picture. It does look from the absence of real nibs that the guitar has been refretted but it must have been a very long time ago as the frets in the picture look awful.

Yep. Time to change them again, or at least get them filed by a professional. (If the picture shows the true condition.)

Crusader

The fretnibs don't seem to be there, so my guess would be that the guitar had a refret at some point. The dents would be toolmarks from filing the fret edges
To me it looks like the nibs are still there, just very shallow

rick c

To me it looks like the nibs are still there, just very shallow
Those are not nibs! Looks to me like during a re-fret, the nibs were cut and the old frets removed then the new frets were very carefully cut to slot back in tight to the binding. Nibs come up the side of the fret; the picture does not show this. It is also possible that the nibs were filed off during a redressing of the original frets. Some guitars suffer from nib gaps that catch the high E string. Perhaps this was the case with this guitar and a previous owner simply cut and filed the nibs off; this would also explain the severe wear of the frets if they are original.