• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Gibson calibrated t-type humbuckers, any thoughts?

Mike Manhost

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on these that came out last year, good or bad, thx

Mike Manhost

Can you provide more detail?

I recently got a new ES-335, and it has these new pickups in them ( T-Type Humbuckers), based on the old T-Types

Since this is my first Gibson and Humbucker guitar ( Fender and single coil guy for 40 years), and I have nothing to compare them to, was just wondering what the opinion on these was.

I also recently got an ES-335 with T-types, and I feel they are very bright pickups. I do personally like bright pickups, but the highs are alittle too spikey for me. And also, the way that the guitar is wired up, when turning the volume pots to 8, the drop off is so severe that it makes using the pots to control tone and volume pretty much non existent. How has your experience been so far with the pickups?

goldtop0

And also, the way that the guitar is wired up, when turning the volume pots to 8, the drop off is so severe that it makes using the pots to control tone and volume pretty much non existent.
So you're saying that you get a drop off in both volume and tone when you turning the knobs to 8?
That's the reverse of what's supposed to happen.
What happens from 8-10?

So you're saying that you get a drop off in both volume and tone when you turning the knobs to 8?
That's the reverse of what's supposed to happen.
What happens from 8-10?
It's strange, I can hear the tone knob change the tone when the volume is at 10, but if it's below 8 in the volume, it sounds like the tone does nothing.

8-10 in both of the volumes just sounds like it turns on the pickups. I'd say 9.5-10 is where you can lower the output a little bit in the pots. This is not how I like my vol and tone knobs to be, so I've been looking into changing it with 60's wiring with a treble bleed.

goldtop0

It's strange, I can hear the tone knob change the tone when the volume is at 10, but if it's below 8 in the volume, it sounds like the tone does nothing.

8-10 in both of the volumes just sounds like it turns on the pickups. I'd say 9.5-10 is where you can lower the output a little bit in the pots. This is not how I like my vol and tone knobs to be, so I've been looking into changing it with 60's wiring with a treble bleed.

Yes that's a problem you have there with a 335.......... they're difficult to work on unfortunately....... and from what you've described it sounds as though you've got some really funked up wiring with audio taper pots.
I always go with linear taper pots with the standard '50s wiring, guarantees a smooth 1-10 increase in both vol/tone.
All the best with yours and let us know how you get on (y)

Revelation

I have a Gibson 2020 335 guitar. I found the pickups to be a little bright for jazz. with the tone control on 10. When I went to put the neck pickup tone control on 8 however it was perfect. It provides the sound you expect to hear from a Gibson 335. It has that warm tone and its beautiful. I found when adding a little distortion with a pedal, the little extra treble the pickups have provide a fantastic sound and bite. I love these new pickups. Some 335's have a muddier sound and lacks the clarity that this new pickups have. No complaints here.

Reactions: Sol