• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Are dealer-specific historic runs less desirable as compared to "standard" runs?

ledbird

Are dealer-specific historic runs less desirable as compared to "standard" runs?

I'm looking at a couple of used historic R8s and R9s -- but they have the "CME XXXXX" serial numbering on the headstock, which indicates that they are from a dealer-specific run of historic (from Chicago Music Exchange).

I find myself wishing that they had "normal" serial numbers instead of the CME part.

Are the dealer-specific runs any less desirable as compared to the standard runs?

This reminds me of the whole "G0" situation, where the Guitar Center version of the R0 is about $1000 less in the used market because it's seen as "different", despite having R9 stamped inside the control cavity.

Last edited:

corpse

Re: Are dealer-specific historic runs less desirable as compared to "standard" runs?

I have a '18 CME R9- Dave or one of the guys from CME goes to Nashville and looks stuff over (source inspection we used to call it) prior to build and delivery. I love mine.
Some ARE better than others.
If spend is your sole criteria don't let it be. Forget about the SN and buy the right guitar.

C-4

Re: Are dealer-specific historic runs less desirable as compared to "standard" runs?

Dealers can hand-select all the wood, et. al. for a specific M2M build or whatever else you desire to call it, BUT!, until each guitar is put together and tried out, no one can tell whether or not it will sound as one person desires.

It's really no different from the standard build R9's. The same exact thing holds true for every guitar built by any company anywhere, or from parts selected from Warmouth, or another one of those parts companies.

You have, as mentioned above, to try every guitar and make an individual judgment on each guitar by itself, regardless of how, and where it was built.

The stamp on the back of the peghead is only an indication of the build for the dealer who ordered it, and nothing more. How the guitar sounds and plays is still a very personal choice one makes.

Tim Plains

I've seen finnicky people post they wouldn't buy a regular six-digit historic because the serial number doesn't have a space, so yes. On the flip side, Music Machine Stingers have always been desirable.

ledbird

I've seen finnicky people post they wouldn't buy a regular six-digit historic because the serial number doesn't have a space, so yes.

Hahaha. :hmm

I hear what y'all are saying, and I do agree with you in principle -- I just don't live in a world where I can fly to Wildwood, Mark's, Chicago Music Exchange, and Willcutt's on a comparison-spree to find the most-suited guitar possible.

And I own a G0 that's "worth" $1500 less than it would be if Gibson has stamped an 'R' in the serial as opposed to a 'G'.

Tim Plains

And I own a G0 that's "worth" $1500 less than it would be if Gibson has stamped an 'R' in the serial as opposed to a 'G'.
Maybe $100 less but not that much. Does your G0 have a plain top? If so, you should be comparing it to R7 or plain top R8 prices and not flame top R0s.

John550

I bought a Dealer Specific R8 that specified a neck carve that would typically be on a R9 . It 's cost was less than a R9 . Btw , it's a 2017 ! It's got a carmelita neck carve , I don't think its less desirable . I would't let it stop you .

Last edited:

HunterP

I've seen finnicky people post they wouldn't buy a regular six-digit historic because the serial number doesn't have a space, so yes. On the flip side, Music Machine Stingers have always been desirable.

Its me. I'm the guy that wants the space in the serial:laugh2:

esq jr

Wildwood editions that have a normal serial but different COA and case are fine.

Last edited:

Musicman

Wildwood editions that have a normal serial but different COA and case are fine.

Some come with Wildwood spec pickups too.

John550

The CME guitars also can have spec. pickups , usually slightly underwound .

esq jr

deleted....didn't mean to offend anyone.

Last edited:

corpse

Almost bit at this troll.

John550

Last edited:

corpse

This is a bit over the top but wasn't there some guy named Shelby? I hear in certain circles his cars are highly regarded.