• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gary Moore & Greenie: Up close and intimate.

Glauco

I love Gary, is my N1 All time Guitarist, with a close company in BB, SRV, EVH and Tommy Emmanuel.
He was a Genius. So much fury, then he most beautiful slow note just a moment after. And Maybe the greatest vibrato of all time in the class of BB and Kossoff.
His Guitars... Greeny plus Stripe, in the Hands of Gary, just did so fantastic.
Greeny is my favourite Guitar of all Time, N1, the others are Kossoff's '59 (not the striped), Bloomfield's '59, Knopfler '58. Ed King's Burst is fantastic too.

"The Messiah will come again" in the performance posted above i think it's one of the greatest guitar performances of all time, Gary give us the Red House at the Strat Pack that is... Epic also.

But... given my personal tastes, and talking about Gary plus Greeny and Stripe, he did his absolutely best in the Montreux 1995 concert. He did a pure "Blues Rock" performance, and his tone in that concert is to die for imho, leaved the Soldano and plays with his vintage super lead and super bass Marshalls and with the Fender he used in Blues for Greeny too.
"Key to love" and "The Stumble", both slowed down and with classic amps in comparison with the '90 concert, are fantastic.
"The sky is crying" is a masterclass of blues rock guitar.
"Jumping at shadows" has the sweetest tone.

I miss Gary playing Greeny and Stripe.

Glauco

I love Gary, is my N1 All time Guitarist, with a close company in BB, SRV, EVH and Tommy Emmanuel.
He was a Genius. So much fury, then he most beautiful slow note just a moment after. And Maybe the greatest vibrato of all time in the class of BB and Kossoff.
His Guitars... Greeny plus Stripe, in the Hands of Gary, just did so fantastic.
Greeny is my favourite Guitar of all Time, N1, the others are Kossoff's '59 (not the striped), Bloomfield's '59, Knopfler '58. Ed King's Burst is fantastic too.

"The Messiah will come again" in the performance posted above i think it's one of the greatest guitar performances of all time, Gary give us the Red House at the Strat Pack that is... Epic also.

But... given my personal tastes, and talking about Gary plus Greeny and Stripe, he did his absolutely best in the Montreux 1995 concert. He did a pure "Blues Rock" performance, and his tone in that concert is to die for imho, leaved the Soldano and plays with his vintage super lead and super bass Marshalls and with the Fender he used in Blues for Greeny too.
"Key to love" and "The Stumble", both slowed down and with classic amps in comparison with the '90 concert, are fantastic.
"The sky is crying" is a masterclass of blues rock guitar.
"Jumping at shadows" has the sweetest tone.

I miss Gary playing Greeny and Stripe

Buzzwagon

That is one of my all time favourite Gary Moore performances. I never get tired of watching it.

Apologies for posting this here but he also performed this on a Strat and the tone and power he gets from it is outstanding.

https://youtu.be/KzFtAX7CBQI

Last edited:

bern1

Though I have some of his records, I’m not the biggest fan. That said, this performance of Jumping At Shadows is sublime.

musicfunkydude

does anyone know what frets Gary used in the greenie les paul,,,I got a lovely ephiphone for a song that sounds amazing but it's got the vintage frets which are not my thing,,in interviews with Gary the frets look massive and that's what I want ? Any help appreciated

vanguardo

That is one of my all time favourite Gary Moore performances. I never get tired of watching it.

Apologies for posting this here but he also performed this on a Strat and the tone and power he gets from it is outstanding.

I prefer the strat version. That song needs a bit of swirl, screech, and twang (paging Roy). I also think those super shreddy phrases sound less metal, and more emotional.