• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

(90s Les Paul Custom) volume at 0... still sound... how to fix it?

A-tony

Hi
I am very partial to early 90s Les Paul Customs, I scored a '93 bone stock at a good price, I tested it and sounds like my n.1 ('92 LPC) only thing different is that, with either pickup, with volume at 0 you still hear sound from the amp (at very very low volume). Wiring is stock, someone knows whats the issue, or had similar experience, and knows whats happening?

Thanks for your help

VamboRool

Check to make sure you have good solder joints on the lugs that are bent back onto the pot case. Also, make sure that you have those pot cases properly grounded. If you have a VOM (ohm meter) you can buzz them out with the continuity setting (diode checker).

BlueGuitar!

As vamborool mentioned, break out a multimeter if you have one and do the 'beeeep' test for ground continuity. Although most likely is that you have a broken (but fixable, maybe not worth it) pot. That was the case for me when I had a neck volume pot doing the same thing.. same wiring harness too. Also it's likely a 300k. Maybe nows the chance to try out 500k or source some era-correct 300k's to keep it stock

A-tony

...no "beep" at all, Ive tried every possible setting (including tone controls) with both pickups, unfortunately no beep