• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Making a 3 pup conversion from a 2 pup.

Reddart

So to anyone who has added a middle pickup to their 2 pickup Les Paul, how has it effected the tone , aside from the differences from the added pickup. Thinking about unplugged tone, sustain, and the tone of just using the bridge and/or neck Pickup when you don’t use the middle pickup.

Reddart

I know this probably isn’t the most popular modification, but I’m sure someone has done it. :hmm

VamboRool

Most people do not like the factory tone of the middle position on Gibsons with three pick-ups. I've done a couple three pick-up guitars that are wired as follows: the neck and bridge are wired as normal, but the middle pick-up uses the tone knob normally associated with the neck pick-up as a volume control. This set up allows you to get any combination of the pick-ups. Some people find it difficult to play a guitar with three pick-ups as they end up hitting the middle unit when they pick. Hope this helps.

Reddart

Looking at the schematic for the 3 volume/master tone wiring, a potential difference from the standard 2 pickup setup would be that even with the middle pickup volume turned all the way down, the pot will load down the circuit more than a stock 2 pickup setup. A way around that I have seen is you use a push pull (or other type of switch) to disconnect the middle pup/vol pot and it takes it completely out of the circuit. That way, the 2 pup circuit should be electrically the same as a stock 2 pickup LP, not counting the master tone.

This still doesn’t address what difference in the tone that may occur from removing the wood in the body, and any magnetic or string pull effect by installing the third pickup, which is more in line with my original inquiry.

Reddart

Since there are no dissenting replies on adding the third pickup, I can only assume that means it is a go!

Thanks guys!

gmann

Since there are no dissenting replies on adding the third pickup, I can only assume that means it is a go!

Thanks guys!

I did it on a 2 pickup Custom. The downside was the middle pup was always in the way. Tonewise, no problem.

zacknorton

I've done this on an SG standard. I really Digg the triple humbucker sound possibilities. Middle by itself is where it's at.

Freeway 6 way toggle switch makes it EASY.

But I could be in the minority... never have I ever felt that the middle pickup was "in the way"

do Strat guys complain about that too????

gmann

I've done this on an SG standard. I really Digg the triple humbucker sound possibilities. Middle by itself is where it's at.

Freeway 6 way toggle switch makes it EASY.

But I could be in the minority... never have I ever felt that the middle pickup was "in the way"

do Strat guys complain about that too????

NO, a lot of distance between pups on a Strat.

jrgtr42

It worked out pretty well for Pete Townshend.
Personally I'm not a fan of a third pickup in the middle - it gets in the way of my strumming.
Have you played a 3-pickup model? |If not, I would recommend hunting one down and playing it before going ahead with the mod.