• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson "favorite of the stars" and "pick of the stars" plastic pick boxes?

fernieite

Gibson "favorite of the stars" and "pick of the stars" plastic pick boxes?

Hi guys,

Does anyone here know the approximate years those cool old Gibson plastic pick boxes came out?

Some were labelled "favorite of the stars" and others "pick of the stars".

Some of them came with the black "Les Paul" picks, and others had the black "Gibson star pick; plus a couple of other picks. (3 in a box, I believe)

I've got both types, and am curious about their age. Thanks.
yH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7

TM1

Re: Gibson "favorite of the stars" and "pick of the stars" plastic pick boxes?

Those are late `50's and part of the Sixties. I've got a couple myself!! Love the black gibson picks with the star stamped on them.

fernieite

Thanks Don.
Any idea which ones are older? The Gibson star picks or the Les Paul picks?
Same with the boxes - Favorite of the stars or Pick of the stars?

fernieite

Yeah, that's what we're talking about. :peace2 Case candy memorabilia.

Here's the similar "Favorite" box and Les Paul pick.
https://reverb.com/item/33054266-1950s-to-1960s-gibson-pick-box-case-candy-les-paul?show_sold=true

I'm just guessing - but maybe the Les Paul picks were the first, and the star came in after the Les Paul endorsement ended in 1963?

I'll guess again, and speculate that the "Favorite" boxes were the first, and the "Pick of the stars" box came in after? I think I've seen early to late 50's catalog literature with the "Favorite of the stars" logo... I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

Here's another link to a NOS "Pick of the stars" box. It has the 3 original picks with it. One of them is a "Star" pick.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-1960s-1970s-gibson-guitar-picks-box

Last edited:

fernieite

Does anyone here have a vintage 1952-1960 Les Paul with an original pick box to confirm or deny my speculations/theories?

I'm guessing these guitars could have come with a "Favorite of the stars" plastic box (Or leather pick folder) with 3 picks inside. One of these would be a "Les Paul" pick... :hmm (I realize of course, that many Les Pauls were originally purchased without the extra pick box)

F-Hole

Does anyone here have a vintage 1952-1960 Les Paul with an original pick box to confirm or deny my speculations/theories?

Yes, a '57, plastic box with Les Paul black picks.

fernieite

Yes, a '57, plastic box with Les Paul black picks.

Thanks man! What's written on your plastic box? Favorite of the stars, or pick of the stars?