• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How do Gibson Korina Explorer and Historic LPs compare tone wise ?

Dr. Green

From a tone perspective lets say you took a really good Explorer with the historically correct Korina wood ( a clone of a 58 vintage ) and you had the same PAF clone pups in the Historic LP 57-60 how would they compare ?

so for example would the explorer have the mid range "honk" like a good Lp ?

could you get the crazy treble tones like for example on ZZTOP 1st album ?

would notes leap out of the EXPLORER ... some have called it "ping"

ok I need to stop i am going too far ...........:couch

Mojoride

From a tone perspective lets say you took a really good Explorer with the historically correct Korina wood ( a clone of a 58 vintage ) and you had the same PAF clone pups in the Historic LP 57-60 how would they compare ?

Hey there!

I’m newish to the forum, but I’ve owned a Korina Explorer, Korina V, and a Gustavsson Korina Futuremaster as well as many R7,8,9’s. The Explorer amd other Korina guitars are very similar in some ways when both guitars have PAF’sh pickups.

To my ears the Korina Explorer is sweeter in the high mids but doesn’t have as much low mid content as the mahogany Les Pauls. Both are GREAT, just a bit different. They both have that “ping” you speak of and the notes definitely still jump out at you off the guitar, perhaps even more so on a Korina Explorer.

BUT, imho, the Korina Explorer/other Korina versions lack that Grunt that we all love of the mahogany Les Paul... something that I missed when I owned just the Korina guitars without still having a Les Paul, so I had to get a Les Paul back in the mix lol....

Good luck in your search!

Mojoride

Oh Yeah! One last thing is that imho the Korina Explorer/guitars cut through the mix a bit more/easier in a band setting. The Les Paul cuts great also, but the Korina guitars seem to jump right out at ya and their EQ range differs even a bit more than the bass to my ears when playing live on stage.