• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How to connect the guitar to the Nexys 4 FPGA board?

Googboy

I have a general design question about connecting an el. guitar to the Nexys 4 FPGA board.
I want to create guitar effects, basicaly process the el. guitar signal and output resulting signal to the speaker.

What would be the best (robust, easy, fast ...) way to connect an el. guitar to acquire the signal for processing? Focused on the Nexys 4 FPGA board.

I am quite fresh with FPGA audio signals, so that is why I need some general (or specIFic) guidance.

Last edited:

PaulD

It depends on what I/O interfaces and on-board audio processing the board has (I'm not familiar with that specific board). If it has an analogue audio input you could connect direct to that but would probably need an impedance matching buffer or DI box to get the best results. If it does not have an analogue in then you would need an external analogue to digital interface such as a USB audio interface.

Thatcher

You need a high-impedance input buffer (to minimize loading on the pickups), possibly with gain control, to feed an ADC which is then read by the FPGA. Also suggest robust ESD protection on inputs to the circuit board, to protect circuits from damage due to static shocks, etc.