• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Buying an R9. Please help me choose...

LeoV

Hello Guys! I have been a reader but never posted.
I have a couple of Standards that I am going to trade into an R9 Custom Shop.

I am here seeking some advice,.
I'v narrowed down to TWO final contenders, both sound amazing and prices are similar. n1 is a bit more expensive:

The first is a 2014 Aged:

gibson1aged.jpggibson2aged.jpg

Second is a 2001, one of 500 Custom Historic Cool Top

gibson1.jpggibson2.jpg

My heart says n1 because of the aged finish... But.... n2 is more exclusive and in MINT condition, I mean NEW not even a scratch (Maybe easier to resell?)
What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

VamboRool

Have you figured in how many purses and shoes your wife is going to get after you bring one of these home?

Guitar Whiskey

Aesthetically the 2014 appeals to me more due to the shading and figure. It really boils down to your taste. Tops generally sell guitars more than prestine condition. On the other hand the early one is more rare for sure but not a big fan of the striped figure; many dig these though. Your call. Let us know how it goes. That generally works out to be 15 pairs of shoes and 10 purses.

LeoV

Have you figured in how many purses and shoes your wife is going to get after you bring one of these home?

Childhood dream, I am braced for the credit card bill next month.

Aesthetically the 2014 appeals to me. Your call. Let us know how it goes. That generally works out to be 15 pairs of shoes and 10 purses.

Jeeezz... Thanks guys. That makes me feel great.

JTorres

Although I’m a bigger fan of the 2001, if you care for resale value, 2013 and up is the way to go since most people really care about the historically accurate spec changes that have been made.

LeoV

Although I’m a bigger fan of the 2001, if you care for resale value, 2013 and up is the way to go since most people really care about the historically accurate spec changes that have been made.

Been doing some research. Everyone saying 2014 is a good year.
I was not aware of that. Thank you, for the useful information.

AA00475Bassman

So much vibe on the 2014 really has a one of a kind sun burst love the figure no brainer 2014 !

GotTheSilver

Assuming the two guitars were exactly the same in sound and playability, I would go with the 2014 hands down. Multiple reasons:

- Better looking top and finish, in my opinion (of course, this is subjective)
- Generally, I find the more recent R9s to be of higher build quality
- 2014 will have more historically correct specs. You may or may not care about this (not really that important to me, personally), but if you go to sell it, many people looking at LPs in this price range will care
- Similar on the resale value, the aging on the 2014 will be seen as a bonus given the same price as the 2001
- You say that the 2001 is more rare, but what does this really mean? "Cool Top" - what is that? Never heard of it. I don't recall anyone ever saying "I'm looking for a Cool Top LP". This sounds like it was one of the endless marketing ploys of Gibson Custom to make guitars sound more rare and collectible than they actually are.

LeoV

- You say that the 2001 is more rare, but what does this really mean? "Cool Top" - what is that? Never heard of it. I don't recall anyone ever saying "I'm looking for a Cool Top LP". This sounds like it was one of the endless marketing ploys of Gibson Custom to make guitars sound more rare and collectible than they actually are.

If I am not mistaken, only 500 were made because of parts restrictions.
That is what I meant by rare or more collectible.

“Cool top” because the owner said it was a “Killer Top”.
I am not the one to judge if it is or not. In my opinion the 2014 has the “killer or cool top”. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Progrocker111

2014, i have had many RIs, but the 14s and 18s, 19s were the best ones. Better specs, better pickups too.

LeoV

I guess we have a winner boyzzzz.

Thanks again everyone.

you guys are dope.

cheers

nichd

More lurker than poster... but the 2014 hands down for me. Much more of a vintage looking top imho.

JD Brown

I have a 2001 R7 and 2014 R0
the 2014 sounds better to me as I am not a fan of the 57 classic pickups in the 2001.
thats is just my personal taste i guess.

good luck which ever way you go. Both are nice guitars.