• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Nitro smell?

sunking101

My 2019 LP Standard and 2019 LP Special both still absolutely stink of solvents. They smell like a chemicals factory and if I"m around them my lungs feel sore.....which is more than a bit worrying.

I've just taken delivery of a brand new ES335 and it doesn't smell even one quarter as bad as my Les Pauls. What gives? Surely the new one should smell the worst of the lot? They're all finished in gloss nitro so why do the two older guitars stink awfully and the new one doesn't?
It isn't the cases either because the two LPs are in a rack.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
I don't have any scientific proof, but I would guess that the 335 being semi-hollow plays a part in the evaporation rate of solvents out of the lacquer

jrgtr42

Do you keep the LPs in cases all the time? If so, that might be helping the lacquer not to fully cure.
I would recommend leaving them out, or at least case open, for a while, see if the smell dissipates. It could also be the case itself.
|But honestly, even in a case, I would expect the smell to fade after almost 2 years.

Triplet

If it really bugs you you can wipe them down with naptha.

El Gringo

It is kind of weird as i took delivery of a M2M this summer and i can hardly smell the nitro ,versus older Custom Shop Les Paul's that still have the sweet smell of nitro . Does anyone know if Gibson Custom tweaked the formula they are spraying with this year ?