• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Upgrading a 2001 R7

JD Brown

Hey all,
Recently picked a 2001 R7 in a trade cash deal. The guitar is nice. However I feel the classic 57 picks a very underwhelming. I ordered a set of OX4 Hot Duanes for it.
Should invest in changing the pots and caps? Also thinking about putting a set of aged Grovers on it as well. thoughts?

El Gringo

Hey all,
Recently picked a 2001 R7 in a trade cash deal. The guitar is nice. However I feel the classic 57 picks a very underwhelming. I ordered a set of OX4 Hot Duanes for it.
Should invest in changing the pots and caps? Also thinking about putting a set of aged Grovers on it as well. thoughts?
Greetings , the OX4 Hot Duanes will be an upgrade . I think the wiring harness has 500K pots and Orange Drop Caps and should be okay and the same goes for the Kluson Tuners as well .

goldtop0

I am going to order the harness from CME. The pots that are in there are showing signs of age and are noisy.
Short post pots correct?

Yep and just give them a shot each of WD40 to loosen them up if you want to stop the crackling.

axeman565758

I actually would have changed the pots/caps/wiring first, then see how the pickups sounded. I'll bet you'd be pleasantly surprised....maybe even shocked!!

JD Brown

I actually would have changed the pots/caps/wiring first, then see how the pickups sounded. I'll bet you'd be pleasantly surprised....maybe even shocked!!

I always have the choice to swap them back in too.
We will see how it sounds in a few days waiting on the harness from CME

JD Brown

C810FC17-1B36-4829-9F2B-A8BFE0D351F4.jpg806E2B66-EFF0-431F-B39B-68B0E5B93ED1.jpg8BE4CC49-821C-4716-96B9-B2038A5DA710.jpgE1BF3DD2-226B-462F-BB81-50E6DCCEB284.jpg
The OX4 Duane Pick ups are in as well as the Emerson prewired kit from CME. Guitar sounds great.
Does anyone know if the fretboard could be Brazilian? Looks completely different from my 2014 R 0 which i know is Indian Rosewood.

Sol

Congratulations on your 2001 R7 what a great score. I would encourage you to keep hold of the original 57 classics if you can because one day the value of your R7 may be affected by their absence.

I have a '92 Les Paul Standard, and though I've replaced so many components over the yrs,(I've lost count). All the original parts, caps, pots, tuners, bridge, wiring loom and pickups have been stashed. It just means that the guitar can be returned to its original configuration just as it left the factory. Its not so important now but used guitars become old guitars, and old guitars become vintage guitars.

JD Brown

Congratulations on your 2001 R7 what a great score. I would encourage you to keep hold of the original 57 classics if you can because one day the value of your R7 may be affected by their absence.

I have a '92 Les Paul Standard, and though I've replaced so many components over the yrs,(I've lost count). All the original parts, caps, pots, tuners, bridge, wiring loom and pickups have been stashed. It just means that the guitar can be returned to its original configuration just as it left the factory. Its not so important now but used guitars become old guitars, and old guitars become vintage guitars.

I am keeping everything. If they ever do become "vintage" then i have the parts.

Johnny Bom Bonny

Hi - in addition to the good suggestions made so far, I would recommend checking to see if you have an aluminum tailpiece on that guitar, and also install steel studs. In 2001, I think the Gibson Custom Shop was already using aluminum tailpieces but I'm not entirely sure if all guitars from that year were equipped with them. They definitely weren't using steel studs yet at that time, though. You can check them with a magnet to find out if someone has already put steel studs on there.

The fretboard on the guitar could possibly be Madagascar Rosewood.

duaneflowers

I have a 2000 R7... one of my all time favorites!!! Enjoy!!! :salude

e5M44GX.jpg

JD Brown

Hi - in addition to the good suggestions made so far, I would recommend checking to see if you have an aluminum tailpiece on that guitar, and also install steel studs. In 2001, I think the Gibson Custom Shop was already using aluminum tailpieces but I'm not entirely sure if all guitars from that year were equipped with them. They definitely weren't using steel studs yet at that time, though. You can check them with a magnet to find out if someone has already put steel studs on there.

The fretboard on the guitar could possibly be Madagascar Rosewood.
thanks will check that out.

adyttaR9

I hate my classic 57 pick ups sounds all over the place. I just bought a R9 2001. Very underwelhming pick ups the guitar is capable of more but i need to do a set up and all i feel.

I am open to suggestions