• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pickup losing signal at full volume

So I first noticed that my neck pickup was randomly deciding to not work, and tapping on it would bring it back to life for a bit. The first thing I did was get a bigger mounting spring because it had play, but that didn't help. Then, I went through the wiring and sured up the solder joints that I thought could have been causing it, still nothing. That was when I noticed it was only cutting out at like 9-10 on the volume knob and working for the rest of the volume range. So then, I replaced the volume pot entirely and still I get it cutting out just the same. This seems to leave only the pickup as the possible culprit, right? I don't understand how a pickup would work at certain volume levels and not others, though.

rick c

My ES335 had a neck pup that would cut in and out; push it down on the bridge side and all was well, let go and nothing. It turned out to be a broken wire inside the pickup. I had to remove the cover to repair it. This doesn't really explain why your pup only got lost at high volume; I would have done what you did, check the pot first for bleed at full volume. If the pup cuts in and out as you physically manipulate it on the guitar then it's probably the same problem as mine. May be at 9-10 on your volume, the sound from the amp is moving your pup enough to cut it out.

el84ster

There’s no end to strange problems like this.
I think yeah, is your pot a little loose and turning it up
full tugging on the wire just enough to break an internal connection?

If not at least meter your pot and see if by fluke you didn’t burn it installing the new one.

I’ve had pots overheat and lose it on the top numbers like that.

There’s no end to strange problems like this.
I think yeah, is your pot a little loose and turning it up
full tugging on the wire just enough to break an internal connection?

If not at least meter your pot and see if by fluke you didn’t burn it installing the new one.

I’ve had pots overheat and lose it on the top numbers like that.

Oof, that may well be the case. I've been having a frustratingly hard time getting the grounds to stick to the case. Probably need a hotter iron, I'm using 30 watts right now.

el84ster

A little bit of solder flux is a handy thing to have. Sometimes something just won’t solder to no matter what. Flux will fix that.

Triplet

A little bit of solder flux is a handy thing to have. Sometimes something just won’t solder to no matter what. Flux will fix that.

Not a poke at you, but I just ASSUME everyone uses flux...

GeraintGuitar

Hhhmmm im not sure about this one , if you hadn't had said about it coming back to life after tappng on the pickup in the past i would of definitely said it was the pot , although it might still be
But you have changed the pot .
Is the problem exactly the same as before you changed the pot ? and is your cavity shielded ?
I still feel this is a wiring problem not pickup problem

Last edited:

rick c

Not a poke at you, but I just ASSUME everyone uses flux...
This is one of the problems with YouTube videos; way too many examples of crappy soldering technique with poor or no explanation. It would be my bet that most people simply heat the joint and add new solder without removal of old crap, cleaning, tinning etc.