• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2013 LP Standard- NO SOUND unless I'm in "bypass" mode

cmsaw83

I'm new to the forum. Just bought my 2nd LP yesterday, a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard. It's all but perfect cosmetically, but I realized AFTER purchasing it and got it home, that I've got no sound in any setting other than with the tone pot pulled up for "bypass" mode. I am grateful to at least have the ability to play it, as I bought two new amps as well, but I have to say I'm disappointed in myself for being so excited that I let as much money go for this guitar as I did without taking the time to realize it doesnt even work. Of course the seller is telling me he had no idea and it ALL worked 100% yesterday before he sold it to me and took my money. There is nothing to be done about that now though, what's done is done.

I would just really like to know what I need to do to get this thing functioning properly and I'm hoping it wont cost me an arm and a leg, as I spent BOTH arms and legs yesterday buying the guitar.

Any help greatly appreciated forum

El Gringo

I'm new to the forum. Just bought my 2nd LP yesterday, a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard. It's all but perfect cosmetically, but I realized AFTER purchasing it and got it home, that I've got no sound in any setting other than with the tone pot pulled up for "bypass" mode. I am grateful to at least have the ability to play it, as I bought two new amps as well, but I have to say I'm disappointed in myself for being so excited that I let as much money go for this guitar as I did without taking the time to realize it doesnt even work. Of course the seller is telling me he had no idea and it ALL worked 100% yesterday before he sold it to me and took my money. There is nothing to be done about that now though, what's done is done.

I would just really like to know what I need to do to get this thing functioning properly and I'm hoping it wont cost me an arm and a leg, as I spent BOTH arms and legs yesterday buying the guitar.

Well count me as skeptical that the seller did not know of this condition . Moving on i would get rid of all of those bells and whistles and remove the pots and caps and install a new wiring harness with 500k pots and caps and have a regular normal traditional functioning Les Paul ( and completely remove everything from the control cavity ) . I dont care for all that stuff and prefer the traditional way of a functioning Les Paul .

grimlyflick

Well count me as skeptical that the seller did not know of this condition . Moving on i would get rid of all of those bells and whistles and remove the pots and caps and install a new wiring harness with 500k pots and caps and have a regular normal traditional functioning Les Paul ( and completely remove everything from the control cavity ) . I dont care for all that stuff and prefer the traditional way of a functioning Les Paul .

+1 :salude

Scott L

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Start simply - remove the 2 back panels and look for obvious loose connections. In Bypass mode, the pickup selector switch is out of the circuit and only the bridge pickup is in play - so you know the bridge pickup is functioning. I'm speculating it is the selector switch that is malfunctioning. It may be as simple as a loose wire. Check the control cavity also for obvious visible problems.

Even taken to a shop, it should not be a crazy bill for this.