• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anybody Have Custombucker Squealing Problems?

Bruce R

Last week I was finally able to rehearse with a '14 RO I bought in May. I had played it through an amp at home many time but never at a band-level volume. A few times I noticed the pickups squealing on me when facing the amp (a 20w Marshall w/4x12 cab). I never, ever have had problems like this with my R8 (Antiquity & Burstbucker 1 in neck).

Have any of you had squealing with your Custombuckers?

LeonC

I have four LPs with custombuckers. They'll all squeal if I get the guitar right in the speakers (i.e., within inches), but are fine if I'm back a little bit. I can get great harmonic feedback with all of them. I was told by the former owner of one that the pickups were quite microphonic when he got the guitar. He told me he removed the covers and dripped a little wax into the cover and put them back on. FWIW, I've also read that sometimes just putting a piece or two of masking tape inside the cover is enough to prevent cover-vibration type microphonics...

randall

Mine did, I carefully tightened the four screws on the back of the pickup and problem solved, try it, easy and cheap.

El Gringo

I have four LPs with custombuckers. They'll all squeal if I get the guitar right in the speakers (i.e., within inches), but are fine if I'm back a little bit. I can get great harmonic feedback with all of them. I was told by the former owner of one that the pickups were quite microphonic when he got the guitar. He told me he removed the covers and dripped a little wax into the cover and put them back on. FWIW, I've also read that sometimes just putting a piece or two of masking tape inside the cover is enough to prevent cover-vibration type microphonics...
Use double sided tape

Bruce R

The squealing really only happens when I'm close to the amp at high volume and facing it. I wish there was something I could do without taking the strings off, pickups out, and popping the covers off & on (something I always did when I was a kid). Not so much because those things are a pain to do, but because it seems every time I get a great setup and I loosen all the strings, the neck never seems to forgive me! I always takes so much tweaking to get it right again - no matter what I do (and I've been doing this for over 50 years). This R0 was stellar off the wall and all that was involved in just changing the pickup rings changed it a bit.

Less trouble than changing pickups, I guess. I am happy with the Custombuckers, even though the neck pickup is louder than the bridge and I've had to lower it noticeably to compensate.