• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Back VOS finish

Bluesman1956

EE293ADC-29B2-4F63-BD4F-AF1F92F6DFB2.jpgA while back I used a quality guitar polish to clean my VOS R8. In the process it cleaned it up nicely with all the dirt an smudges but the VOS finish is gone. And now it has a high gloss look. Any recommendations on stripping the gloss look off back to the original VOS without any damage to the finish?

axeman565758

The "VOS" finish is actually a topical solution applied to the unbuffed painted finish. Even without polishing the finish, the VOS gunk would eventually wear off/through frpm playing and you'd see a finish underneath. To me the VOS finish was way too gunky and sticky. I had a 2007 R6 VOS that I actually took Naptha and cleaned the whole guitar. Then some Virtuoso polish, a clean cotton t shirt and an hour's worth of elbow grease. The result....a nice smooth, shiny finish.
If you want to retain that VOS finish/look, only clean now and then with Naptha. Otherwise, a damp (not sopping wet) paper towel and water and wipe it down.

Bluesman1956

I think for now on I’ll take the advice of a damp cloth to clean off after playing. I guess the high gloss look will eventually loose some of its luster and will be fine. I don’t want to mess with it and do anything I might regret later. Thanks all for the input.