• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

amp in a box pedals

510Finn

Hi there! I need your advice about amp in a box pedals[/URL]. Since we don't get amp and cab modeling, how about more amp-like overdrive pedals as a compromise? Wampler Triplewreck Bogner Ecstacy Blue Radial Plexitube Just to name a few of mine that I'm keeping in my rig, unless they get modeled in the FX8, and sound good. What other ones would you guys like?

darkwave

Not sure what you mean by “since we don’t get “?

I actually do use a pedalboard-based rig these days with a Bogner Blue Mini as my main overdrive sound. I found it sounds more natural if I simulate a scooped Fender tone stack after it (I do this with a passive box I wired up). I then run it through a Digitech CabDryVR and get a really good crunch sound for my rhythm tone. I boost it with a TC SparkBooster for leads.

I’ve been tempted to keep looking at other pedals and tube-based options, but just gave it a good listen yesterday and figured I should just be quite happy as-is.

That rig is for my Americana band. I also run a Yamaha T-100 (Soldano design) and a modded ‘67 Gibson GA15-RVT at home.

- Douglas C.

Hi there! I need your advice about amp in a box pedals. Since we don't get amp and cab modeling, how about more amp-like overdrive pedals as a compromise? Wampler Triplewreck Bogner Ecstacy Blue Radial Plexitube Just to name a few of mine that I'm keeping in my rig, unless they get modeled in the FX8, and sound good. What other ones would you guys like?

JASIII

I like the JHS Twin Twelve with my R9 for low to mid gain. Based on a Silvertone 1484 amp. Sounds especially good as a gritty rhythm sound.

Señor Verde

I like the Barber Electronics Direct Drive Super Sport. Set certain ways give different sounds and I set mine for Marshall Plex-ish sounds that I like a lot.

I have a bunch of Dumble-type pedals that sound great to terrible, depending on what amps I use them with.

MeHereNow

My Thorpy fx Gunshot v1 falls in that category.
Dual gain stages in a mid voiced pedal that emulates tube breakup really well.
I plug it into my '82 marshall jcm 2204 "low" channel input with the preamp pot dimed and get instant plexi crunch.
Stacks very good too, but likes to be last in a drivepedal chain as i experienced.

darkwave

I’m thinking I missed the intent of this thread by a bit? I use the Bogner as an amp replacement in a direct to PA scenario (with am EQ and a cab IR pedal). I’m quite happy with the results.

Maybe more in the vein of this thread... I also use a Source Audio Kingmaker Fuzz with this setup in front of the Bogner. One preset I use has a touch of gain along with a strong EQ profile I pulled from a Wampler video. It makes the Bogner react a bit more like a boosted Vox amp. Probably wouldn’t fool someone really into that sound, but it works for my needs.

-Douglas C.

Not sure what you mean by “since we don’t get “?

I actually do use a pedalboard-based rig these days with a Bogner Blue Mini as my main overdrive sound. I found it sounds more natural if I simulate a scooped Fender tone stack after it (I do this with a passive box I wired up). I then run it through a Digitech CabDryVR and get a really good crunch sound for my rhythm tone. I boost it with a TC SparkBooster for leads.

I’ve been tempted to keep looking at other pedals and tube-based options, but just gave it a good listen yesterday and figured I should just be quite happy as-is.

That rig is for my Americana band. I also run a Yamaha T-100 (Soldano design) and a modded ‘67 Gibson GA15-RVT at home.

- Douglas C.

222tweed

I really like the Friedman BE deluxe... I turn the trim pot way down and it sounds and feels amazing.
2 amp channels, all the knobs actually do something. Fun and highly recommended !

Dave P

I picked up a J Rockett The Dude pedal I've been digging a lot lately.

mdubya

I don't gig out anymore and I only get to jam with others at very modest volumes when I have that chance.

My main rig these days is a Fractal AX8 modeling amp run into a pair of Presonus e4.5 desktop monitors. I don't think I could possibly have a better sounding setup at the volumes I play.

Regarding so called amp in a box pedals; I have a Tech 21 British pedal which, when running direct to a recording interface or into a powered speaker (the Presonus, my Xitone 1x12, or anything else I have tried) sounds glorious.

I have a Zvex Distortron which never did much for me until I stuck a fuzz (Maestro MFZ-1 or Fuzz Face) in front of it and ran it through my MIC Champion 600. Holy moly. It sounds like a little JTM 45 with a fuzz in front. Without the fuzz it is 100% MEH.

This is an emergency rig I ran for a while, waiting for repairs and replacements for my main rig. The Bad Monkey was used for its speaker emulation only. The Maestro and the OD 808 provided the rest. The Alto TX 8 sounded half decent clean with the Bad Monkey speaker emulation. The fuzz and the OD, while somewhat one dimensional, was surprisingly fun to play through.

HJ2F846.jpg

This is the recording rig I used with a producer. Other musicians he worked with wanted info on my rig, it sounded so good on the recordings we did. Very warm and smooth with just enough Marshally bite, setup in the brown zone between JTM 45 and bass spec Plexi, tone-wise. I still plug it in as standard bearer for Marshall simulations.

XZ59p3T.jpg

Triburst

This "Dumble in a box" pedal has been on my board for a few years now. It's Jetter's GS-124 pedal, which they made based on a particular Dumble circuit. The "creamy squish" he mentions is exactly what I wanted.

renderit

Pricey but worth every penny.

Origin Effects Revival Drive.

Best pedal I ever bought.