• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson sg "bernice"

Kirill

Help me, what does this name "bernice" mean on my SG 1989 written under the bridge pickup?

goldtop0

From where can you have such an assumption?

The old US TV program Barney Miller............Fish's wife..........

Funnily enough I've had a couple of GTs called Bernice because I remember on one of them(a '13 R7) that name was written somewhere.......might have been in the control cavity!!
Looks like she's worked there a long time.....or......there have been a succession of Bernices' over the time.

VamboRool

There was a thread on here awhile ago about this topic. Several different women's names appear in the neck pick-up cavity on guitars of this era. There were various theories on why this was. I have an 1983 Flying V that has a name there, it escapes me at the moment.

goldtop0

The guitar is old, there is a desire to repaint it. Whether it makes sense to do this or to keep its factory appearance.

Bernice wouldn't be able to help you with that but a luthier/respray guy would.
Up to you as to what you want to do.

Last edited:

Overdriven66

If this theory was correct, they would sign every guitar. Why don't men's names occur? Only women worked in the factory?

I believe Gary Rossington from Lynyrd Skynyrd had a 60's Cherry Red SG Standard that he named 'Bernice'.