• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Can Becky be brought back to life? Broken Headstock

dhillon2020

Hi Folks,
Well there you have it, I have officially joined the "broken headstock" gang. After searching far and wide I finally found my beloved LP following a Epip LP trade and $500. Fast forward three months later and boom broken headstock. My beautiful "Becky" suffered a fatal fall following and accidental elbow from my mother. The carnage will be posted here for all to see.
Look by posting here I am not looking for sympathy here just honest repair advice from everyone.
Not interested in hearing from your opinion on LP broken headstocks e.g Kirk Hammett type stuff. I think that horse has been be beat to death already.
Based on your look at the photos is there any advice on how to professionally repair Becky without going to a luthier? Guitar is only likely valued at approximately $800 Canadian so really don't want to pay another $300 or more to get it repaired if I can do it at home.

So if you have ever repaired broken headstock ( particularly on faded brown LP studio) please share your experience and any guidance regarding techniques, tools, lessons etc. If you know of site that you used to help repair please share.
Thanks all for listening as this is a real depressing time without my beloved Becky.
:frank::peace
cheers:fall
Paul

rick c

While waiting for the pics, there are many headstock repair fix videos on YouTube. I'd pick the one that matches the damage and my skills and go for it.

jrgtr42

Depending on how bad it is, it may be something in the range of a home DIY'er, or something that should be looked at by a pro.
If it's a simple crack, you may be able to do it - you'll need luthier's glue - plain ol' Elmer's (even wood glue) won't hold up.
If it's splintered, ||I'd probably say to have a pro look at it.
The next issue is the feel of the break - you may need to sand down and refinish that area - again, depends on your ability and confidence.
But busted headstocks are a bummer all around.