• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help a 'blind' guy out.

somebodyelseuk

Hiya
I've mentioned previously that I'm sight impaired...
I'm interested in a Fender Jaguar that's been discounted, because of "cracks in the neck pocket". This is at a music chain store in the UK. I sent an email asking if it was finish cracking or cracking in the wood. Their reply included a photo, but no answer to the nature of the defect.
My gut says 'forget it' - advice I would give others - but...

I can't tell from the photo, though I know it's fairly common for Fender finishes o crack in this area.
What dya think?

Tarcisioo

finish cracks around the neck pocket are very common in my experience, so it wouldn't bother me. But they may be wood cracks, it's your risk... If the price is good, I would get it

toxpert

The crack illustrated in your picture is at the point where the neck pocket wood is the thinnest. A tight fitting neck can exert enough pressure (pushing against the sides of the neck pocket) that creates tension that can result in finish cracks that look like that shown in your picture. Cracks can also occur...like when a guitar is dropped onto the neck.

I once owned a Tele with a crack in the wood at that point that resulted from the neck having the headstock broken off. The guitar had a replacement neck and played great with no stability problems. I sold it to a band buddy...and continue to tell him that I will buy it back if he decides to part with it.

somebodyelseuk

Thanks for the replies, chaps.
It's a 'new' ex demo, guitar, being offered at 10%/£200 off.
For that price, I can live with the finish 'falling off' 😉
It's thin nitro, so a refinish... Well, it's not like trying to remove poly.
Cracked wood... You never know? Could be fine, could get worse. Replacement body would cost a bit more than the saving.
You'd like to think if it was wood damage, they'd write it off, claim on insurance and 'Return To Fender'... Sorry, couldn't resist the pun.

el84ster

This really annoys me when a dealer won’t give you an answer, that pic doesn’t tell you anything. I’d take that as it’s he wood that’s cracked and they don’t want to say.

jtees4

Sorry to be so late, but I have to say this. YOU are deficient in your sight??? I can't see ANY cracks. Based on the other replies, it looks like you did the right thing. Good luck.