• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help with LP Custom Manufacture Date

Solanderi

SN# 968188 (hard to read.....best guess)

Please help me to find out the year of manufacture.

Thank you

AJCR

Insufficient info to be more specific than most likely 1970-1975.

A better guide is to open the electrics cavity and take pics. In fact to look on the pots and read the code on the back that starts with 137. The next 4 digits are the pot manufacture date...YYMM

There are other tells like logo type, headstock shape, cap type and embossed pickup covers for individual years.

Solanderi

Thank you AJCR,

Pots are pretty crusty but cleaned up with a spot of oil. Pot dates are 1974 but solder covers the month inscription. Capacitors look like black jelly beans and have in white ink ID #s MOT-111. Next line is 02-200?. Next line below is 446.

Original pickups removed and replaced with modern humbuckers. The originals are stored somewhere so safe i cant find them.....yet !

The Logo is a "no dot Gibson". I don't know what to tell you about the headstock shape.

With that info, I probably still haven't given enough to say its DEFINITELY 1974 or whatever, yes ?

Thank you !

AJCR

1974 and into early 1975 will be a Kalamazoo build....with all of the pre 1975 features. Generally speaking the format of guitars in the 70's was that they stayed more or less identical from 70-75. The changes like short tenon, nashville bridge and maple neck came at some point during 1975, after the existing stock in each aspect ran out. You can always check under the trussrod cover to see if you have maple for the neck.....its a very yellow look compared to the pink/brown of mahogany.

Its more than likely that with 74 pot dates that you have a 74 (with all the early 70's features).

Progrocker111

9 serials were in action in 70 - early 71 and then again in 75. Yours seems to be a 75, still with mahogany neck?

Solanderi

Hi,

I am new to this guitar archeology stuff and I appreciate all the help. This guitar has the “Made in USA” pressed into the headstock and a 6 digit serial #. Is there any dating info I can glean from the original pickups. I have one but it is not stamped or engraved with anything that I can see on the pickup cover. I will pull it out if there is other info to get off the backside.

Thank you

AJCR

What you have already been given is as close as you'll get. And the info you have been given on the neck shaft wood IDing will tell you if it has the pre 1975 changes.