• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R7 Black Beauty 3 Pickup Wiring Question (want to wire for standard two pick-up)

Ed A

So just picked up my first ever 3 pickup black beauty, a 2011 R7... beautiful guitar... I love the way the three pickups look BUT, I have no use for the middle sound and would like to simply disconnect the middle pickup and set the guitar up for standard two pickup operation... Im a bit confused looking at the control cavity and the switch and also the pickup cable and how it appears that the black lead is heading toward the switch... in any case here are three pix... can someone advise the easiest way for me to disconnect the middle pup and have just the bridge and neck on together when in the middle position?... thanks!

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
So just picked up my first ever 3 pickup black beauty, a 2011 R7... beautiful guitar... I love the way the three pickups look BUT, I have no use for the middle sound and would like to simply disconnect the middle pickup and set the guitar up for standard two pickup operation... Im a bit confused looking at the control cavity and the switch and also the pickup cable and how it appears that the black lead is heading toward the switch... in any case here are three pix... can someone advise the easiest way for me to disconnect the middle pup and have just the bridge and neck on together when in the middle position?... thanks!

There are a few schematics for these as I’m sure you’ve found. One has the middle pickup lead connecting to one of the outside tabs on the switch. You could probably start there with your meter checking for continuity

Ed A

There are a few schematics for these as I’m sure you’ve found. One has the middle pickup lead connecting to one of the outside tabs on the switch. You could probably start there with your meter checking for continuity

Thanks Mark!

Mark Kane

Can you share any tips on picking with that middle pickup right in the way?:hank:spabout

Zeppelinguy85

The easiest way would be to replace the 3 way switch. On the three pickup switches, the wafer that the middle pickup connects to would need to be in circuit. Neck and bridge pickup wires are connected to the input of the pot, which the output goes to the switch, the middle pickup goes right to the switch, then the output from the switch goes to the jack. While I'm sure you could rig it, it'd be easiest and cleanest to replace the switch, wire it normally and not connect the middle at all.

indeedido

The easiest way would be to replace the 3 way switch. On the three pickup switches, the wafer that the middle pickup connects to would need to be in circuit. Neck and bridge pickup wires are connected to the input of the pot, which the output goes to the switch, the middle pickup goes right to the switch, then the output from the switch goes to the jack. While I'm sure you could rig it, it'd be easiest and cleanest to replace the switch, wire it normally and not connect the middle at all.

I wouldn't buy a new switch, easy enough to take the extra lug off the existing switch. Just takes a screwdriver.