• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

A question to those who have invested in vintage Centralab pots from the 50's

luizhmax

Would you still invest big bucks in a set of Centralab 500k C2 pots if they read below 500k?
Most people who talk wonders about their centralab pots, always comment on how much above 500k they have drifted so I wonder if the magic would still be there if they have drifted into the 400ish range... thank you.

JP'59

I have a set from 1960 that all read a bit over 500K. I have another set that all read a bit below 500K. I can't tell the difference in sound BUT what they both do is roll down real smooth and the guitar tends to clean up better than the new CTS pots out there. I really like them the best of all pots for Gibson guitars. Hope that helps!

duaneflowers

The set I have is dated in 1959 and all of them stayed right around 500k (+/-3%). Since that only affects tone, the only difference between a 500k and a 480k or 520k would be a 4 1/2 or a 5 1/2 setting on the dial, instead of 5, to achieve the exact same tone. And since its all done by ear, rather than looking at the pointers, it doesn't really matter at all. Just my dos centavos... :salude

el84ster

Having bought them in the past, I definitely wouldn’t do it again. Especially at current prices. I’m all form wringing the last 1% of tone out, but to me they don’t sound better than some current pots.
VIP pots have the taper nailed.

And PEC guitar pots actually sound better.

Unless you’re restoring some collectible investments type guitar I think it’s money wasted personally.

And this is coming from a guy with pafs and vintage hardware on my R8.

TM1

I have a number of old Centralabs. Most are great and in guitars. But the ones from VIP are just as great and work perfectly. I have them in a few guitars and they work just like the old Centralabs!!

Dave P

I've had a couple that were almost 700k, but they were also pretty worn out.

thin sissy

I've had a couple that were almost 700k, but they were also pretty worn out.
How did they sound to you? I'm curious because I have the original set to my 55 goldtop out of the guitar. They read 600 k and up. I'm in the camp that thinks old centralab pots actually do sound better (or are more useful), so I would like to put these in. But on the other hand I'm reluctant to mess with a guitar that to my ears is as close to perfect as can be :##

Mad Nobby

If your are really happy with your guitar don't touch it! Maybe you can't go back later if you are not satified after you changed the pot's. I have modded a lot of guitars in my life and often I found ending nowhere and after going back to the old configuration
it wasn't the same guitar as before! Even this sounds very strange, there is something in between the worlds! Guitar electronis are very poorly designed and every little can have an impact on it. Btw. JB told in a interview that he often had the same expirience when he swapped out pu's etc.

thin sissy

If your are really happy with your guitar don't touch it! Maybe you can't go back later if you are not satified after you changed the pot's. I have modded a lot of guitars in my life and often I found ending nowhere and after going back to the old configuration
it wasn't the same guitar as before! Even this sounds very strange, there is something in between the worlds! Guitar electronis are very poorly designed and every little can have an impact on it. Btw. JB told in a interview that he often had the same expirience when he swapped out pu's etc.
You might be right about that. So far this year to still my soldering urge (and to have something to do at home all these weekends) I've serviced a bunch of my homebuilt amps. Still I can't help but wonder what the goldtop would be like with the original pots again. Maybe someday... :)

JIMI55LP

Depending on how low in the "400ish" range your meaning, I'm thinking it will not make much difference if somewhere above 450K? I personally want the correct date match pots for my guitars for preservation and resale.

duaneflowers

And PEC guitar pots actually sound better.

I really like my PECs (and Alessandros) but have noticed some scratchiness in the PECs that, since they are sealed, can't be lubed. Have you noticed this? :hmm