• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

S.T.A.C. Dime Store Five

gahubbard

A good friend of mine here in Austin builds guitar amps (South Texas Amp Company) and here is one he recently built for me. I often go over there and test-drive whatever he has on the breadboard and this is one I really liked so it became mine. It's a 5W and has a great sound. At his house I played it through some older JBL speaker that he is extremely fond of (no way was I getting THAT). What I have at home to run it through is just a basic Fender 1x12. It does not sound as good as that JBL did but for goofing around at home... it's sounds GREAT!

Last edited:

corpse

Love the name- if it sounded so good keep your eyes on Reverb and buy a JBL. You only go around once.

gahubbard

Love the name- if it sounded so good keep your eyes on Reverb and buy a JBL. You only go around once.

Yep, I'm kinda sorta keeping an eye out for a deal on a JBL. I do not know a whole lot about speakers when it comes to specific models. The JBL speaker my friend has was some certain model made before some certain year and all of that meant something about why it sounded so good. My buddy is a mad genius when it comes to knowing about different factories and time periods and why this is better than that... especially with tubes. The guy is a walking encyclopedia. He said that specific speaker was getting a bit pricey when you can find a good one. I'm pretty happy with the basic Fender cab I'm using... it's good enough for now but that JBL is in the back of my mind.

tonar8353

JBL D120 or K120 are the Bee's Knees. I have a K120 in my 68 Deluxe Reverb and it kills.